Additional NI Software Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vix

MAX: add an option to specify the proxy settings

I wrote this idea after having spent a lot of time trying to understand a strange connection problem between MAX and NI-cDAQ 9188 ethernet chassis.

As a matter of fact I discovered that MAX uses the proxy settings made inside Internet Explorer (in Tools >> Internet options >> Connections >> LAN settings). If you set a proxy inside IE, MAX uses this proxy trying to connect to a NI cDAQ ethernet chassis.

If you set the same proxy inside Firefox (for example), MAX doesn't use this proxy settings.

For this reason you must tell the customer how to configure the proxy inside IE in order to be sure that MAx is able to connect to the NI cDAQ ethernet chassis. And if the customer has already set the IE proxy as requested for network connection, it could happen that he must change this settings, and this could be a problem.

I suggest that MAX (and other NI software) should have its own proxy settings (has Firefox has) so that it would be possible connecting to cDAQ ethernet chassis even with "strange" settings of IE proxy.

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
1 Comment
Rannoch

I agree.  Currently I have to undo several IT proxy settings / environmental variable in order to get NI Max to work.  These settings unfortunately get reapplied to my PC through domain policies.  The error NI max gives you when the proxy fails does not help point you to the fact the proxy is the problem.  Myself and others in my team have lost lots of time over this and I agree with this request.