Actor Framework on cRIO

This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.

Actor Framework on cRIO

This is the start of what I hope can be the best resource for using Actor Famework on Compact RIO.

First of all, Actor Framework can be deployed on cRIO as of LabVIEW 2012.

I believe I am the first customer to ask to deploy AF on cRIO. Early on I worked directly with NI and niACS to deploy AF on cRIO. So, I have been doing this for a while. I have learned a lot along the way as I am sure have others.

I would like to keep the discussion focused on AF on cRIO, not AF in general. So if you have other questions not specific to cRIO let's try to keep those in the another AF discussion.

I expect to revise this as the topic evolves, so this should be "evergreen". I expect to expand the topics and link to more in depth material as it is created.

Deploying an AF project from the Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

• Deploy time to a target depends on the size of the project and can get very slow if it is a large project
  • Develop in small pieces with specific aims if deploying from the IDE

Deploying AF in a Real Time Executable (RTEXE)

• RTEXEs are much easier to deploy than deploying from the IDE
  • Faster to build and deploy RTEXE than to deploy from IDE

Communication from a cRIO to a PC in AF using the Linked Network Actor (LNA)

• AF solves type safe messaging
  • LNA solves messaging across a network
  • Need to include class constants of messages in case they are not built in an EXE due to not being called locally
  • The general recommendation is to have a single connection between the cRIO and the PC, but I create 7 bidirectional connections regularly

Creating a messaging Interface

• Messages to and from an RT target in AF are written for an abstract parent and have no default implementation
  • Children of the parent exist on both the RT and PC side and implement the method

Interacting with data on an FPGA using AF on RT

• Use an FPGA Read/Write node within an actor to interact with data from the FPGA

Building Executables

• Large RTEXEs can take a long time to build (hours)

Using Source Distributions

• Reducing the code in your main EXE and using a plug-in with a source distribution reduces build size and time

Determinism

• Communication via queus is not deterministic
  • I solve this by placing time critical code on the FPGA
  • The Actors are "playing catch-up" to the signals and FPGA processing

Time Delayed Send Message wrecks determinism in other loops

• This method appears to be a "blocking" method and other methods do not run until this method returns. Upon return there is a huge spike in CPU utilization
  • Fixed in LabVIEW 2014

Error When Deploying from IDE stating that a particlular VI is broken

• Make sure that the AF library is only in the RT Target in your project. If you have the library on the MY Computer target I have seen broken VIs (usually the Actor Core of one of my actors) report that they are broken. The VI is not broken. Deleting a wire and then re-wiring it fixes the run arrow, but the deploy still doesn't work. I believe that there is at least one instance of a VI compiled for the My COmputer target attempting to be deployed to the cRIO and it fails to deploy.

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 36
(10,393 Views)
35 REPLIES

Re: Actor Framework on cRIO

I have a cRIO project that uses three loops: Signal acquisition (back and forth from fpga), internal timing and a Ethernet communications. I have not written the Ethernet part yet, as it's the simplest and we don't have the hardware yet anyway.  It's in LV2011 but I have downloaded LV2014 and done the AF tutorial.

Seems that in principle the AF would be very good for this application. However, after reading what you wrote above I'm leery of wading into this and getting into performance issues. Is AF that much worse than normal LV code on the RTOS, or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 36
(3,279 Views)

First off, I don't want to scare people away.

My understanding is that this is an OOP in LabVIEW problem and not an AF problem. So, if you are going to use classes and dynamic dispatch you "may" run into problems.

I am deploying thousands of VIs in hundreds of classes. I use object composition heavily.

More later.

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 36
(3,279 Views)

Time Delayed Sned Message wrecks determinism in other loops

• This method appears to be a "blocking" method and other methods do not run until this method returns. Upon return there is a huge spike in CPU utilization

This is hopefully being fixed (Ref).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 36
(3,277 Views)

Have anyone run into any issues using multiple network streams on the CRIO or do you typically keep one actor that whose main responsibility is pushing data between the CRIO/Host.  I had a project where i tried to give each subactor a network stream so that different host subpanels could read data separately and connect/disconnect at will.  My CRIO did not like opening/closing so many streams and the CPU usage shot way up.  I eventually had to switch back to Network Shared Variable due to time constaints on the project.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 36
(3,279 Views)
Highlighted

drjdpowell wrote:

Time Delayed Sned Message wrecks determinism in other loops

This is hopefully being fixed (Ref).

Was already fixed in LV2014.

Message 6 of 36
(3,277 Views)

Jed394 wrote:

Have anyone run into any issues using multiple network streams on the CRIO or do you typically keep one actor that whose main responsibility is pushing data between the CRIO/Host.  I had a project where i tried to give each subactor a network stream so that different host subpanels could read data separately and connect/disconnect at will.  My CRIO did not like opening/closing so many streams and the CPU usage shot way up.  I eventually had to switch back to Network Shared Variable due to time constaints on the project.

The general recommendation is "One actor whose main responsibility is pushing data between cRIO and Host." If you do anything else, you're going to be breaking the actor tree with all the issues that introduces. Obviously you *can* do it, but we generally would advise against it.

Now, your particular use case has many separate subpanels that are totally independent from each other, which makes it less like breaking the tree and more like running several trees at the same time.

But I can't comment on the cRIO efficiency of network streams.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 36
(3,279 Views)

I make multiple connections.

3 System Level (UI and 2 watchdogs)

4 Subsytem Level

I also have instances where I make connection between a main subsystem on one chassis and a remote portion of that same subsystem on another chassis.

I also can't comment on performance other than to say it works.

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36
(3,277 Views)

AristosQueue wrote:

The general recommendation is "One actor whose main responsibility is pushing data between cRIO and Host." If you do anything else, you're going to be breaking the actor tree with all the issues that introduces. Obviously you *can* do it, but we generally would advise against it.

This would have been unreasonably unwieldy in Casey's system, or one of comparable complexity.  The component actors in his application export a *lot* of controls and indicators, and pushing all of those messages through the higher level systems would have bloated them with methods whose sole task was to forward data to the next level.  And, I suspect, that bloat would interfere with Casey's ability to mix and match his component actors in future systems.  (I invite Casey to comment further on that, since it's his design and his company's IP, and I don't wish to speak out of turn.)

I don't think attaching multiple UI actors to a system breaks the actor tree, and I certainly don't think it's contraindicated.  Treat the UI actors as nested actors of the components on the RT side.  At that point, you've given them the same logical standing as the actors that manage hardware I/O.  Those actors are, after all, managing the flow of data into and out of the tree.

On the host side, the individual UI actors form a hierarchy as we expect, but again, the nested actors are just managing their I/O.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(3,279 Views)

niACS and I are agreeing here... I maybe didn't state it right... multiple UI actors is the equivalent of that "totally independent" actor trees thing that I alluded to above. Yes, I think it is the right choice for an application that has such independence (which Casey's does and it sounds like Jed's does as well).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36
(3,279 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.