Actor Framework Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Course Offering: Actor-Oriented Design in LabVIEW

AOD in LV Cover Art (small).png

NI Customer Education has released Actor-Oriented Design in LabVIEW as a pilot course!

This three-day course covers everything you need to know to use the Actor Framework effectively in your projects.  You will  take a comprehensive tour of the framework, explore actor system design, and learn how to address a number of specialzed software challenges using actors.

You can order the course to be delivered on-site at your location, or you can work with your local NI sales representatives to schedule a course in your area.

You can find more information, including a course outline, here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/53138/en/

Comments
Fire
on

I can really recommend this this course!

Patur
on

Broken link: http://sine.ni.com/tacs/app/overview/p/ap/of/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n24:22418/id/3459/

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
justACS
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I checked the link from home, in browsers on two different non-NI machines, and had no issues, so the link appears to be fine.

Patur
on

Found the error. The link is for an english version "..../lang/en/...". My region is sat to Denmark (where I reside). And the link changes to ".../lang/da/...". There is no danish version of this webside, therefore the broken link. If I change to "United Kingdom" everything is dandy

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
petrnowak
on

Yes, changing of region to US removed error.

*** LV2018 ***
Jonzarwal
on

Any chance to have it available on the online training one day ?

justACS
Active Participant
on

Maybe someday, but not any time soon.

justACS
Active Participant
on

Patur wrote:

I've replaced this link with one that should work globally.  Thanks for bringing the issue to my attention.

MSteiner
on

Sadly, this is not taught in France. We would have loved to be able to follow that training.

By chance, we may get in touch with some SE that may give us a tour. Please bring this training to branches (at least to France ). Thanks

justACS
Active Participant
on

MathieuSteiner wrote:

Sadly, this is not taught in France.

Incorrect.

We have six instructors in Europe trained to teach this course, and I know it was taught at least once in Paris this summer.

Please contact your local Field Sales Engineer or brance office to discuss scheduling a course in your area.

MSteiner
on

I had already ! Sadly, my request was sent after the Paris training took place. There is no training planned, but we are going to get a SE in order to briefly introduce us the framework the NIce way.

thutch79
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Is there somewhere to at least buy the course material? This is a class I'd love to take, but it isn't offered in my area and it doesn't seem to be an online course either.

justACS
Active Participant
on

thutch79 wrote:

Is there somewhere to at least buy the course material? This is a class I'd love to take, but it isn't offered in my area and it doesn't seem to be an online course either.

Currently, no, though we are looking into it.  This is an advanced course, and we are concerned about student success if they self-pace.

The course is not in the regular rotation, so it won't be automatically added to any region's calendar.  If you want a local offering, talk to your local sales engineer about setting one up.

thutch79
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

This is one of my major frustrations with NI. Not everyone can take a week off for a course. Just get the material out there so people can learn!!!

VEEDAY
on

NI eneds to offer free courses if u buy new license for profesional dev. Cant we have educational material free so that mass crowd can take advantage and well certification fee need to be reduced. They are expensive .... I think in next 5 yrs NI is going to lose grounds ..

RY
Rafal_Kor
on

Free on line courses offered by NI (with a pruchase of a full development license) is how i've learnt labview. I strongly agree that there needs to be a self-paced actor framework course out there as well. NI has done a great job preparing these courses. I really would like to see a self paced actor framework course added in..

MSteiner
on

After some discussions with our sales representative, we managed to have an agreement for a presentation of the framework (a 2-hours introduction to be precise made by their main System Engineer here in France). This shall happen this thursday, and we are very excited about it !!

Sadly, NI France does not offer this training for the first semester of 2017, according to the planning I just received from NI. I shall ask for one on thursday to check if there is actually no plan for such a training or if it's missing by mistake

Geoff_in_Austin
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hello all,  just a reminder that there is a class coming up in Houston on Nov 29-Dec 1.    Lots of seats still available. 

Contact Customer education

thutch79
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I don't think you're getting the point. I don't even have the option to take a week off for a class, let alone travel to Houston. NI hinders customer education with it's desire to micro manage training. Just get the course material out there for people to learn!!!

justACS
Active Participant
on

Radical_Raf wrote:

I really would like to see a self paced actor framework course added in..

We're looking at it, but self-paced courses require a whole additional layer of effort and review over what is required to put together an instructor-led course.  It took a considerable effort to get the course to this point, and while it is very good, we are not yet convinced it is good enough for self-pace.  The fact that this is an advanced course further complicates the issue.

The goal for this class is to drive customer success with Actor Framework.  We know we can do that in an instructor-led environment.  We are investigating whether we can do so in a self-paced setting, but we aren't going to release it as such until we are sure.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

For self-guided material, that's what the shipping examples, the white paper, etc. are for. There's a WEALTH of AF self-paced materials on this community forum.

With the course, because we have an instructor, we can actually mentor instead of just lecturing. Not all of the course material is written down linearly. There's no printed answer key, for example. There's a lot of instructor asides based on what he/she sees the student struggling with. If the self-paced materials already available online do not suffice for you, I mostly guarantee that just flipping through the course material isn't going to make it better. There's no point in us making useless material available, and there is a lot of downside to doing so, mostly from maintenance of documents, but also from confusion of users who are trying to plow through a document that assumes you already know AF. Think about that -- everything in the course teaching materials is written for someone who already knows AF. Not very useful for a student alone!

We have released tons of material for the self-paced user. Other users have contributed more. But there is value in having an instructor teach something, and the course is available for those users who can take advantage of it. We do our best to make that as inclusive a set as possible.

justACS
Active Participant
on

AristosQueue wrote:

Think about that -- everything in the course teaching materials is written for someone who already knows AF.

That's not actually true.  Day 1 assumes no prior knowledge of AF, just Core 3 and LVOOP.

Your mentoring comments are pretty spot-on, though.  Most students find at least a few minutes to ask off-line questions about their specific use cases, for example.  The interactions *between* students can also be very informative.

SeanJ
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Any plan to have an AF course in the UK?

Contributors