Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your preferred UML diagram tool?

I am getting into using UML. I am familiar with the GOOP UML tool, but it doesn't do sequence diagrams, timing diagrams, state diagrams, activity charts, components, packages, etc.

I will also need to do class diagrams just to be able to talk about them to non-programmer coworkers.

I am looking at Lucidchart.

I have tried Enterprise Architect, but the code generation tools are not for LabVIEW so I think I would like something easier graphically.

What do people use?

Thanks,

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(14,821 Views)

I use StarUML which until recently was free (and unmaintained).  It is/was open source, so I am not sure what is going on now.  You can find Star UML on SourceForge and it seems now that there is a site that has been revived for it (staruml.io).  You can "evaluate" indefinitely, but I have no idea why this is being charged for now after all these years.

In either case, I do a lot of diagramming for clients.  I have tried to use the GOOP tool but it just seems faster and prettier to do this in StarUML.  I looked at Lucid Charts, but couldn't find anything they had over StarUML (and the price of the latter was better at the time...).  Hope this helps.

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(10,061 Views)

OK, my question about StarUML was answered in the FAQ;

Can I still use StarUML V1?

Yes. you can use StarUML V1 for any purpose. However, don't forget that the StarUML V1 is no more maintained and cannot be supported.

This has not been maintained for years and has been a great tool.  I see no reason to pay for version 2 as this wouldn't integrate with LV in either case...

Let me know if you want to see diagrams that I have produced...maybe this would give you something to think about.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(10,061 Views)

For sequence diagrams, I use: https://www.websequencediagrams.com/

Still doesn't generate code, but it is really usefull to describe Actor Oriented Designs where there are multiple messages being sent between actors.

I use the GDS toolkit for UML diagrams for classes, reverse engineering and code generation.

Interested in learning what others are using.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 4 of 16
(10,061 Views)

CaseyLamers1 wrote:

I am getting into using UML. I am familiar with the GOOP UML tool, but it doesn't do sequence diagrams, timing diagrams, state diagrams, activity charts, components, packages, etc.

I'm confused.  I've made sequence and state diagrams in the GOOP UML Tool, and I recall using a package object in class diagrams.  Are you arguing that these options aren't very good in GOOP UML?

Message 5 of 16
(10,061 Views)

I use Enterprise Architect from http://www.sparxsystems.com.

A really great UML tool but unfortunately it lacks support for forward/reverse-engineering LabVIEW code.

We've planned to write an AddIn for this ourselves, but haven't got the time to do so yet...

I've also tried the GOOP UML tool but it is lacks too many features to be useful.

Message 6 of 16
(10,061 Views)

Hi,

I use http://sequencediagram.org for sequence diagrams, it has no ads and is much quicker than the websequencediagram

Message 7 of 16
(10,060 Views)

mrcb wrote:

Hi,

I use http://sequencediagram.org for sequence diagrams, it has no ads and is much quicker than the websequencediagram

I will check it out. I like how in the paying version of the websequencediagrams the formats of the reports can be changed, they can be shared with others and has no adds. I found it useful enough that I went for the paying version. It is good to know of other tools that accomplish the job and are free, even if they don't have the bells and whistles.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(10,060 Views)

niACS wrote:

CaseyLamers1 wrote:

I'm confused.  I've made sequence and state diagrams in the GOOP UML Tool, and I recall using a package object in class diagrams.  Are you arguing that these options aren't very good in GOOP UML?

Agreed I even checked with Mikael. There are pacakge diagrams, sequence diagrams and state diagrams. Also the UML diagram toolkit in GDS supports Actor Framework.

Message 9 of 16
(10,060 Views)

Just to clarify. I want to create multiple levels of UML diagrams. High level down to low level. I had added the GDS to my LabVIEW 2014 environment and project load times went way up. I have been reading the O'Reilly book on UML and I would like a tool to create all of the various diagrams. My primary interest is for the tool to be easy to use and responsive. I don't want to add an additional drag to the LabVIEW IDE as my projects do a good enough job of that already.

Also, as a follow up we are trying out Lucidchart. So far it fits the bill.

At the end of the day I would love it if I could see what my project does (reverse engineering) or describe what I want new LabVIEW code to do at various levels of granularity. When people talk about a "Zoom Tool" for LabVIEW this is where I would want it. I don't need a tool to see my VIs. They are small enough. I need a tool to see my project.

Casey

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(10,060 Views)