Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Does the "Auto-Stop" Setting Do?

Solved!
Go to solution

What does the "Auto-Stop" setting in "Launch Nested Actor" do? I noticed that I still had to include "Send Normal Stop" to stop the nested actor, even with the Auto-Stop setting set to TRUE. I had initially expected that it would stop as soon as the Caller Actor stopped when this setting was set to TRUE.

Thanks.

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,752 Views)

Auto-stop should propagate your Stop message to all nested actors. It won't guarantee the nesteds do anything about it. For example, they might keep running if they ignore the Stop, or a helper loop hangs.

Also, I don't think the root/caller actor will wait for them to shutdown; it forwards the Stop, then it dies. You can override Handle Error to create this "wait" behavior yourself, if you need it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,746 Views)

@diarmaede wrote:

I noticed that I still had to include "Send Normal Stop" to stop the nested actor, even with the Auto-Stop setting set to TRUE.

You should not have to do that... that is indeed the whole point of the autostop. What happened that made you think you needed that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,707 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author diarmaede

Hi,

I think it's exactly what would happen if you forked the caller when launching the nested actor:

Jonzarwal_0-1632923887252.png

Message 4 of 6
(1,703 Views)

OOO. That's a good guess, Jonzarwal.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,698 Views)

Dingdingding! Give Jonzarwal a cupie doll. I had it wired as shown in the "Wrong" example. When I eliminated the fork, everything shut down as I expected. Thanks!

Forbes Black
Lapsed CLAD, LV 5 - LV 2022 (Yeah, I'm that old...)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,684 Views)