Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit Tests with Actor Framework

@rik_aspinall wrote:

Thanks for your comments everyone. I was suspecting that the approach requires more than one type of testing, and so I can see use for all of your suggestions. I must admit to being a little intimidated by the JKI tester - I tried it a little a while ago and was taking a long time to get up and running with it (I wasn't in love with the amount of documentation either). I'd really appreciate it if someone could point to a simple AF project (perhaps one root Actor and one nested actor) to show me if you can spare the code.

As far as events and UI's are concerned, I can see the point that the actor should be an autonomous entity and so any UI action should ultimately be "put this message on the underlying actor's queue". I think by using batch messages I should be able to create such sequences, which goes a long way to helping test use cases for each actor (user sends message X followed by Y).

In the meantime I will plug away and let you all know shortly. I could probably share the example project when I'm done.

Although this is a fairly old thread, it was recently bumped, so I don't feel too bad posting the following link:

LAF Q2 2015 - Unit Testing with the JKI VI Tester (Casey Lamers)

This is a link to the youtube video presented by Casey Lamers (who posted with a couple of screenshots above, seemingly from the same project shown in the video). It's a really informative video detailing some of his strategies for testing Actor Framework code and I found it very useful both regarding testing AF, and getting used to VI Tester (which is still pretty intimidating, but less so after a few videos of people using it and some reading).

The official/JKI documentation is a little sparse, and I'm not sure how up-to-date it all is (although I don't want to sound critical - it's a great tool and I'm really finding it helpful) but there are several posts, videos and guides using it that can get you going. I found one on LAVA between Daklu and Omar Mussa additionally insightful ( Unit Testing Strategies with xUnit?)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(810 Views)