Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tools to reduce "Project Explorer Programming" in AF - ideas?

@McQuillan wrote:

g idea Hmmmm..... I'll have a think about this one. I'm not sure how it would be implemented. But a graphical representation of the message information in DETT sounds epic!

You mean like this? https://forums.ni.com/t5/Actor-Framework-Documents/Actor-Framework-Sequence-Diagram-Parser/ta-p/3536...

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 11 of 19
(1,865 Views)

@Taggart wrote:

@McQuillan wrote:

g idea Hmmmm..... I'll have a think about this one. I'm not sure how it would be implemented. But a graphical representation of the message information in DETT sounds epic!

You mean like this? https://forums.ni.com/t5/Actor-Framework-Documents/Actor-Framework-Sequence-Diagram-Parser/ta-p/3536...

Let me also step in please - this tool is quite nice, but unfortunately it has main issue that it is not possible to generate UML when number of messages is large (I guess online tool has some limitation for number of nodes to display).

And it would be nice to have possibility filter out just some particular actor's communication messages, and not all of them.

But I guess, that the tool could be more consistent if parser would be changed from Python to LabVIEW (project provider tool), and then it'll be possible to add more features...

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,855 Views)

@McQuillan wrote:

I've been thinking about my AF workflow and realised I would be a lot more efficient if I didn't have to constantly switch between the Block Diagram and Project Explorer (particularly big projects). So, I was thinking about writing some right-click menu (or QD-Shortcut) scripting tools as a side project that would allow me to spend more time on the BD/increase productivity

Great idea! Would it help, if you could create git repository for it, so all the tools could be placed there? It would be nice to have it there, because:

- all tools will be at one place;

- possible to collaborate to single repo;

- possible to post/track feature ideas, issues, etc.

Message 13 of 19
(1,853 Views)

Hi ,

Maybe it already exists, but i don't know where to find it.

No only for AF, It could be nice to have a shortcut for opening the class control. From Block diagram and from front panel.

Regards

Marc R.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,806 Views)

That already exists"ish", there is a tool for opening a typedef from the wire, but recently I added support to open class private data too. I'll keep you posted once I've tested and published it.

Although, I'm struggling to find the original post now too! This is the closest I could find:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Shortcut-Menu-Plug-Ins/looking-for-quot-open-typedef-quot-menu-item...

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,801 Views)

I mean something like that but designed for lvclass.

For opening the private data controls from a FP or BD, I usually click on "Show class library" go on Labview project windows and open the control. It makes a lot of click and windows changing.

Regards ,

Marc R.

Message 17 of 19
(1,783 Views)

@marcraggi wrote:

I mean something like that but designed for lvclass.

For opening the private data controls from a FP or BD, I usually click on "Show class library" go on Labview project windows and open the control. It makes a lot of click and windows changing.

I have written this functionality, but it's a bit 'crashy' at the moment. I'll work on it a bit more and post it on here.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,780 Views)

Damn, Tom, those gifs are cool! I think a large part of the learning curve of AF is learning to refer to the Project more than the BD and that this runs counter to the LV diagramatic ideal. I like these tools!

CLA - Kudos is how we show our appreciation for comments that helped us!
Message 19 of 19
(1,701 Views)