Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There IS a way to get to the running clones while debugging!

Maybe some of you already knew this, but I didn't:

The menu item View >> Browse Relationships >> Unopened SubVIs gives you a display of all the unopened subVIs in memory... including all the reentrant clones. So if you have a runaway Actor Core.vi, you can go to this menu and find all the clones and click on one and hit the Abort button. Conveniently for English speakers, "Actor" starts with an "A", and since the VIs in this list are alphabetized, the Actor Core clones are right at the top!

This feature has existed as long as there have been reentrant clones in LabVIEW. This menu is often quite full in any application of size, and in LabVIEW 2013 it is going to get a small but nice tweak... looking at the list of things that are new in this beta is how I found out about this feature in the first place.

I'm very happy with this discovery.

Message 1 of 4
(6,382 Views)

I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but this is not helpful.

lol.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,264 Views)

Its not the best interface but its better than closing out the project.  My only issue is that the "browse relationships" options is not available from the project window and since i usually run my programs with a custom menu, unless i force the block diagram open with scripting, i  really have no way to access this in debug mode.  Sounds like 2013 might fix these issues, Task Manager finally? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,264 Views)

Jed394 wrote:

Its not the best interface but its better than closing out the project.  My only issue is that the "browse relationships" options is not available from the project window and since i usually run my programs with a custom menu, unless i force the block diagram open with scripting, i  really have no way to access this in debug mode.  Sounds like 2013 might fix these issues, Task Manager finally? 

Just open a blank VI (or, indeed, double click any VI on disk and it'll open in the dev environment and then you can use its menu).

2013 does not introduce any sort of Task Manager. More, it addresses Negative Nancy's concerns (see Staab's post above).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,264 Views)