From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe to Save As an actor and its library to create a copy?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an actor "template" that I would like to copy, it is a library that contains the messages, the actor itself, and a few bits of non-actor VIs. When I use Save As on the library to duplicate the library, update names to reflect the new names, etc. eventually I end up with error 1556...the description from this thread is bang on, but I didn't see a resolution there:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Actor-Framework-Discussions/Error-1556-while-sending-a-message-to-other-act...

This happens even when sending an actor its own stop message.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,270 Views)

I realized I didn't put any helpful details here...the full error text is:

Error 1556 occurred at In Place Element Structure in Actor Framework.lvlib:Message Priority Queue.lvclass:Priority Enqueue.vi:2960001->Actor Library.lvlib:Actor Test.vi

The post I mentioned earlier refers to a queue being disposed of, but this actor should be identical to the actor I Saved As from, which works. Is a reference to an Actor Framework.lvlib file broken perhaps?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,235 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CanadaGuy

As mentioned in the referenced thread, you usually receive this error, when sending a message to an Actor, which has already (been) stopped.

A rough guess, what has happend: when establishing the new Actor from your template, some library relations have gone bad.This could lead to messages not being recognized by the receiving Actor which then is shut down, if not implemented to handle unknown messages "graciously". The error, you are seeing would be just a consequence

Just a guess, without real research. You might want to check the object hierarchy within and between the libraries.

I prefer to create copies of objects using the GOOP Toolkits clone function.

Message 3 of 4
(3,086 Views)

I think I found my mistake in how I was trying to call the nested actor as a root actor for testing. Strange that it only manifest itself after making certain changes to the front panel.

I've installed the NI GOOP toolkit and it looks quite useful. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,079 Views)