Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor "Save All (this project)" performance with AF project.

I have two AF projects on two different machines, both have around 600 source files. Because I transfer the project source from my IT asset (laptop) to the PXI controllers (off network), LabVIEW thinks all the files have changed. When I do a "Save All (this Project)", I see the save dialog is saving at the rate of about 1 or 2 files per second. So it typically takes almost TEN MINUTES for the save to finish.

Since I have never had this save performance problem with large non-AF LabVIEW projects in the past, I have posted this issue here.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,094 Views)

Sometimes, my fellow developers try to assign bugs to me to fix "because the bug report says the user used your Actor Framework." I'll tell you the same thing I tell them: "It ain't the AF." I was a pure G user when I wrote AF -- no special code whatsoever. Whatever is going wrong could go wrong with any G code that is doing whatever it is that AF is doing. What we need to know is what is AF doing that is different from your other applications?

The first thing that comes to mind is typedef enums in classes nested inside libraries. I've had some odd issues with this, but never been able to pin it down. Does your slow-to-save AF project use a lot of typedef'd enums? Are those enums inside the actor classes (which are themselves inside libraries)? If so, please try moving the enums out of the classes and then do the save. If that improves your save performance, I'd very much appreciate it if you'd file a service request and give NI a copy of your code so we can investigate and maybe fix it. It isn't every enum-in-class-in-library. If it was every one, I'd've been able to replicate and fix it by now. 🙂

On the other hand -- it's our problem to fix, not yours. Since most AF projects don't have this issue, even the very large ones (and there are some in the 10k+ VI range), we need to ask what makes yours special. So if you just want to file a service request that says, "Saving is so slow as to be considered a bug," and then provide your code, that's fine.

(I actually have no idea how customers report bugs to NI... it's one of those things that I never have to do myself, and it changes periodically over the years. I know you can post in the regular forums to get an NI application engineer's attention, but I think your Software Subscription Program (SSP) registration provides a more direct way.)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,049 Views)

I had maybe 8 or 10 .ctl files inside AF classes. Moved them to the root of "My Computer". Haven't gotten in the situation where there's a comprehensive file save to see if it has a positive effect. Hopefully soon.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,017 Views)