cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messaging an Actor via TestStand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am new to AF and am trying to design a system that tours a customer through a TestStand sequence.

So far the architeture has a supervisor actor, which acts (excuse the pun) as a message broker and general supervisor/watchdog, and then two other actors (so far) which populate subtitles and trigger audio playback.

The cues for these latter actors must be triggered from TestStand, theoretically through an LV action step. If I didn't use AF then I would use a local queue name and use an 'enqueuer' vi which references that queue name, in order to allow for the lack of coupling.

Is there any way/what is the best way to do this using AF?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,939 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LaThoS

So, actors are -- by design -- invisible outside of their callers. The design I would first suggest is that you give the queue of your root actor (your supervisor actor) to TestStand and have it enqueue messages which the supervisor actor sees and forwards on to the nested actors.

If there is some reason that this is a bad choice, you could create a regular queue in your supervisor actor, store its refnum inside the lower two actors before you call Launch Actor.vi on them and then give that queue refnum to TestStand... the Actor Core.vi for the two nested actors would monitor this other queue.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,063 Views)