Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Launch Actor- Error 1003 with no broken VI's

Solved!
Go to solution

LV2016, using the new "Launch Root Actor". I'm getting an error 1003 when first launching my root actor core. I'm guessing it's not getting past opening the VI.

Spoiler

Error 1003 occurred at Open VI Reference in Actor Framework.lvlib:Actor.lvclass:Launch Actor Core.vi->Actor Framework.lvlib:Actor.lvclass:Launch Root Actor.vi->Generator Interface.lvlib:Generator Interface.lvclass:Load App.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The VI is not executable. This error may occur because the VI is either broken or contains a subVI that LabVIEW cannot locate. Select File>>Open to open the VI and verify that you can run it.

VI Name: Actor Framework.lvlib:Actor.lvclass:Actor.vi

Now here is what is confusing me. I've literally opened every single VI in the entire project. Nothing is broken, including the two nested actors. No errors are showing in error list window while the root's actor core is open.

I've made this as a progressive learning experience into actor. I had the root actor as well as the first nested actor (serial port handling)  working. I finally coded the second nested actor (parser) and was integrating it when this went haywire. The root, at the moment, is just a minimal debugging interface.

Are there any possible places I've neglected to look?

(sorry, I'm avoiding posting the code because I wouldn't expect someone to debug an alien actor architecture with 138 files built by a beginner)

Josh
Software is never really finished, it's just an acceptable level of broken
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,895 Views)

Hi Josh,

had the same issue two days ago when moving to a new computer. It turned out, the child actor was missing a dependency. (OpenG Toolkti was missing). Calling the parent methods from TestStand did of course show no broken VIs.

I'd suggest mass compiling the directory/ library of the child actor to check.

Regards

Oli

Message 2 of 8
(5,847 Views)

@Oli_Wachno wrote:

I'd suggest mass compiling the directory/ library of the child actor to check.

Thanks for the suggestion (I forgot about Mass Compile, haven't needed to).

A mass compile actually showed no errors and I'm still seeing the error 1003. Tried it from the top level directory and with the project both open and closed. Even tried a force recompile of the actor cores which I was unaware of as a feature.

I do have a question about root actors and children. When a root actor is loaded into memory due to the launch root, do the children actor cores get loaded due to the class constants, or does it wait until the launch nested?

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,838 Views)

@JW-JnJ wrote:

I do have a question about root actors and children. When a root actor is loaded into memory due to the launch root, do the children actor cores get loaded due to the class constants, or does it wait until the launch nested?

Gets loaded with the class constant.

Is your code working again if you remove the second nested Actor?

Message 4 of 8
(5,833 Views)

@Oli_Wachno wrote:

@JW-JnJ wrote:

Gets loaded with the class constant.

Is your code working again if you remove the second nested Actor?

Huh, I removed both nested actors/abstract messages/error handling from the root and it still errors without being actually broken. Odd

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,823 Views)

You are still working on the development enviroment, aren't you? No EXE, no PPL?

Message 6 of 8
(5,814 Views)

@Oli_Wachno wrote:

You are still working on the development enviroment, aren't you? No EXE, no PPL?

Yup, purely development now. Target will eventually be an EXE, but I'm a long ways away from that.

I completely rewrote the test root actor and attached the first child and it works. Working on the second. However, the original root was broken even when I removed the two nested actors, so I'm thinking I have a corrupted actor.... somehow?!?

Josh
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,811 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JW-JnJ

I completely rewrote the test root actor and attached the first child and it works. Working on the second. However, the original root was broken even when I removed the two nested actors, so I'm thinking I have a corrupted actor.... somehow?!?

Generally speaking, a RootActor will break, if any of his children loaded into memory are broken. There are several scenarios:

•  you have removed the ChildActor from the project, yet it is still loaded to memory because
    • LabVIEW just has not released it (after saving the prj closing /reopening this should be gone)
    • your project contains some "Simple Test VI" which still has the broken class referenced
  • you have a second project open which is using the broken ChildActor
  • your projects' dependencies are messed up (e.g. VI search path issues) and a corrupted version gets loaded

Message 8 of 8
(5,806 Views)