Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Framework menu disappeared, redoing interfaces restored it.

Solved!
Go to solution

I don't understand how this happened, but the actor framework menu disappeared from the items in one of my classes. I could no longer script new messages, for example. I think this happened when lag on my remote connection ended up dragging-and-dropping the actor framework lvlib from Dependencies into my own lvlib; I moved it back, but not before a lot of churn.

I tried many things to solve the problem, and what finally worked was to remove then restore the parent interfaces.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(4,229 Views)

Update.

The problem appears to be caused by alphabetical ordering of the parent libraries in the .lvclass file. The message maker doesn't recognize actors as such when an interface is listed as the first parent library.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(4,143 Views)

@auspex wrote:

Update.

The problem appears to be caused by alphabetical ordering of the parent libraries in the .lvclass file. The message maker doesn't recognize actors as such when an interface is listed as the first parent library.

I will attempt to replicate that. Thank you for continuing to investigate.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(4,140 Views)

Hi auspex, 

I am working with AristosQueue to replicate this as I have a bit more bandwidth at the moment to look into it.  Would it be possible for you to expound a bit more on the alphabetical ordering thoughts?  I want to be able to get a simple(ish) reproducing case we can get help narrow down the issue and at the moment I need a bit more guidance on where the issue is occurring.

DillonL.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(4,121 Views)

I've attached a project showing the problem. I just threw it together to show the problem.

Falcon and Finch are kinds of Birds which are kinds of Actors. They have the Animal interface. "Animal" comes before "Bird" so Falcon and Finch aren't recognized as Actors.

Velociraptor is a kind of Actor. It has the Animal interface. "Actor" comes before "Animal" and it is recognized as an Actor.

Sorry about the silliness of the example.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(4,114 Views)

I'm not sure about this, but I think the reason removing and restoring the parent interfaces "worked" was I saved everything after removing them, but hadn't yet saved everything when it looked like restoring them worked.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(4,091 Views)

Thanks for the additional info.  I was able to replicate the issue and have filed a bug on it.  The bug number is 1059799 if you would like to keep an eye out for it in future releases/patches. 

DillonL.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(4,085 Views)

I just noticed another bug related to my original message here.

I thought a lagging connection was the problem before, but I'm not having that problem now.

I was dragging an Actor Framework:Message Enqueuer control from one front panel to another, relying on that being a copy operation. During the drag, I passed over the Project window. When I dropped the control on the other front panel, the Actor Framework.lvlib was moved from dependencies into one of my project's virtual folders. I was paying closer attention this time, so I restored everything to the previous state and tried again. Same result. I know drag-and-drop is tricky, so I decided to try something different. I made sure that the cursor did not pass over the Project window during the drag, and there was no problem on the drop.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(4,064 Views)
Solution
Accepted by justACS
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,832 Views)

I installed the fix and the rescripting seems to work fine, but the fix for "the project provider does not recognize actors that implement interfaces as actors, so users cannot access the provider tools" doesn't work in all cases.

I tested it on a couple actors that inherit from interfaces (with interface names that come alphabetically before the parent class of the actor) and it works on one but not the other. I made sure to save any changes before right-clicking and I can confirm that when the interface is removed from inheritance, the Actor Framework menu reappears.

Both actors inherit from classes and interfaces that are part of PPLs if that makes any difference.

Any thoughts?

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,819 Views)