Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FP.Title incomplete for clones? (LV2013)

Hey everyone!

I just tried to make one of my actor cores always on top with the "FP.IsFrontmost" property node. I was referring to this:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/let-VI-always-on-top/td-p/974866

While make it floating in the VI properties was working fine, the "FP.IsFrontmost" node wasn't. Later while playing around I figured out, there is actually a "FP.Behavior" node, which works perfect for me.

But in the beginning I was looking for alternatives to amke it always on top. So I downloaded the Windows API (http://sine.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4935). The “Make Window Always on Top.vi” and “Revoke Window Always on Top.vi” were working fine in a simple test VI. But when I used them in my actor core they didn’t. The reason is, that the API is using the window title to find the window. And I was feeding the value of "FP.Title" into the API. But compared to the window title the "FP.Title" string is missing the " (clone)" attachment. The help of "FP.Title" states: "String that appears in the title bar."

So this what I get and see (at least in LV2013):

FP.Title: "Test Stand Framework.lvlib:TS - Control.lvclass:Actor Core.vi:5880001"

Window title: "Test Stand Framework.lvlib:TS - Control.lvclass:Actor Core.vi:5880001 (clone)"

So what's wrong? The value I get from "FP.Title" or the help?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,298 Views)

The value you get from FP.Title probably needs to be tweaked -- it is probably just copying from the title field and not looking at the actual text appended ... see, there's only one field, and that's on the real VI. We don't store the "(clone)" portion -- we just tell MS Windows that part so that the window has a unique title. I'll file CAR for you. In the meantime, you can use the "Is Clone?" property to decide whether or not to append "(clone)" yourself. Unfortunately, fixing this bug will break that workaround.

CAR: 433250

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,243 Views)

Yes, this is what I ended up doing. Just adding the clone string by myself. Thank you for filing CAR for me. But... what is CAR? I tried to look it up, but only find a lot of automobiles

This can be only half of truth, since the one field shouldn't have the clone ID included

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,243 Views)

CAR = Corrective Action Request, aka a bug or feature request.  The CAR number is what we use internally to track them, and is also what is listed in upgrade and release notes to describe bug fixes in that version.  For example, the ID column in the LabVIEW 2013 f2 patch details document is the CAR number.

Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(3,243 Views)

Thanks Matt!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,243 Views)