From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Message Maker

Hi guys!

I just posted a new "Advanced Message Maker" for you to test, but immediately deleted it because I realized that it has code from LabVIEW 2012 and it is not clear to me if I can use it in an own code. So could you please help me reagarding licensing?

Everyone is welcome to answer but I would like someone from the NI to give an official answer also.

And sorry from the ones that wanted to use it, but I don't want hurt anyone's rights.

Here is the description I included with the file that contains the whole source code:

"

This is an Advanced Message Maker for Actor Framework.

It can make a "normal" message, like the Message Maker, but stores it in a nice folder and virtual folder structure.

It can also make a Send Parent message to serve as a parent in the creation of a Zero Coupled Message. Regarding this type of message you have to select a VI that has output, for example a Read Property Access VI.

It also creates a Send Method vi, that handles the Message class injection, the Reading of the property and Sending it. So when programming you only have to call this Send Method vi to send a message from the Actor.

As the VIPM Package builder didn't work for me with the LV2012, I had to zip all the files, and give instructions on install.

So the instructions:

In the source\Dependencies you find a VIPC file. Install it with VIPM. It contains all the dependencies. The ones that are online in the VIPM are only referenced and not included. What is included is:

- lava_lib_LabVIEW_API_scripting_tools v0.24.0.24 by University of Leeds

- VIPM Support v1.0.0.1 by Dr Langer Medical

- NewAccessors Extension v1.0.0.3 by Dr Langer Medical

The first is from the University of Leeds, the last two is from my Company. Please be sure to read all the licenses that are in the VIPC files.

I included linked some packages from the OpenG and MGI. Please also read the licenses.

I also had to use a keyboard macro player program called AutohotKey:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Please download it and read the licenses.

Also the most improtant that I used the Message Maker from the NI released with lv2012 as the source of this package.

After successful installation copy the following to your LabVIEW 2012\project folder:

source\A_MessageMaker\VIP_Source\_Adv Message Maker

source\A_MessageMaker\VIP_Source\AF Advanced Message Maker.vi

I needed the AutoHotKey because when I save a Private DataControl of a class programmatically LV2012 crashes. So I had to close the message maker and start a AHK script that saves the Private DataControl (and applies the changes) and starts the Advanced Message Maker and sens CTRL+SHIFT+F2, which is the shortcut for the hidden button to continue the message making. It clicks on the Advanced Message Maker from the Tools menu by it's realtive position on the screen. So if you have a different list than I have, you have to modify the click position in the

source\A_MessageMaker\VIP_Source\_Adv Message Maker\_advancedMM\AHK_files\CTRL-S.ahk

file. Don't be afraid, the script expects a window that has "Actor Framework Advanced Message Maker" title. However when playing with it, you have to kill the running scripts from task manager.

It's all. The programming is not very nice, it is only an Experimantal release. Please ask if you want to use, but have problems. I want to know how useful it is, what more should it know.

"

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,742 Views)

I'm curious to hear NI's answer, too. I wonder whether the Terms of Use for posting on NI.com nullify your GNU licenses. Does NI have free reign to use your code however they like without any of GNU's restrictions, even though you'd have attached a GNU license to it prior to posting?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,952 Views)

I've pinged the relevant legal powers to see if they have an answer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,952 Views)

Thank you for your efforts.

I hope to get a good answer. As I thought about the problem by myself using the source of the Message Maker which is included in the installation should not be too much different that using any other VIs from the palette, or from the vi.lib. So I guess I have the rights to use, but let's wait for the official answer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,952 Views)

Was the response to your ping "Destination host not reachable"?

I am definately interested in this tool...

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,952 Views)

Hi Komorbela,

seeing some of AF-related activity in Germany, do you think it would make sense to organize a "user meeting" at the VIP in Fürstenfeldbruck?

Greetings to the Black Forrest

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,952 Views)

It's me again. I could manage to make an installable VIP file. Now I only wait for the answer from NI. Just to be clear I tell the question again:

Can I use the source of the "Actor Framework Message Maker" which is part of the LabVIEW 2012 installation (located in the "...\LabVIEW 2012\project" folder) in my own works and publish as my work?

In other words: Is it the same situation as if I would use something from the LabVIEW 2012's palette, which has it's source in the vi.lib?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,952 Views)

*yawn*  It has been almost a month now and no response.  This is disappointing.

Komorbela, can you post without the NI files for now?

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,952 Views)

I am also just waiting and waiting... Unfortunately I modified some of the NI VIs, so I cannot leave those out.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,952 Views)

In case someone didn't notice it, the new version is out there:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-25451

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,952 Views)