cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actor Framework in PPL

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

it's close to the weekend, it seems I can't see the wood for trees anymore. Having said that:

I have (and used successfully used) a ppl version of the AF for 2015SP1. I started cleaning up some code, improved some encapsulations (so on and so forth). All the VIs nice and clean.

Now the fun stuff:

When running my test bench Launch Root Actor.vi reports error 1003, since it seems it doesn't find the Actor.vi reference needed to start the Actor asynchronously.

Next step was to set up a test VI within the very same project: just Launch Root Actor with the Actor ultimate ancestor implementation from the PPL. It fails again with the very same error. (all Actor related VIs taken from the ppl for sure; so no type conflicts) Cleared compiled object cache ... retried... no effect.

After rolling back to the old version via SCC, everything is working fine again, Actors starting up fine.

Is there a chance, the project file is somehow corrupt? Any other idea?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,877 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oli_Wachno

For the records: issue seems to be solved.

Luckily, the code base / changes to be made wer not that massive, so I spend some time re-applying them to the working code version. Success.

If anybody at NI should want a copy of the "screwed up" version for diagnosis, just PM me.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,852 Views)

We have had this same issue many times, and only been able to resolve it the same way  you did... go back to a previous working version and re-implement the changes.

For some reason when we try to load an actor, we get 1003 indicating that one of the VI's the actor references is broken. Yet there are no broken VI's. Usually happens when running the build of the project. Everything works fine in development environment. Then build and it breaks. NI R&D is looking into one such issue of ours at the moment.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,844 Views)

@JohnG3k wrote:
.... Everything works fine in development environment. Then build and it breaks. NI R&D is looking into one such issue of ours at the moment.

Is there an estimated timeline? My most complex project just got screwed up Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,833 Views)

Unfortunately not, though I haven’t been pushing for a speedy resolution since we have recovered by reverting to old code. I’m more just interested in root cause now so we can avoid this problem in the future… actually come to think of it, that wasn’t even that problem that I uploaded the code for in the first place. The 1003 error re-occurred as I was trying to reconstruct the code from another issue we had and also found a work around for but couldn’t understand root cause.

Anyway, it has been a couple months so I wouldn’t expect anything soon.

John

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,821 Views)

I encountered just this problem this week, and unfortunately didn't have a previous working copy I could revert to. 

I have a .lvproj that just contains the actor lvlibs from the vi.lib folder and builds a ppl from that. All other actor classes in other ppls inherit from that AF.lvlibp. 

I managed to fix the 1003 error in my exe by making a new AF build project that builds a ppl with the same name as the old one and with incremented version. I noticed the built ppl from the new project was about 20k smaller than the previous one that wasn't working.

I also went trough and rebuilt all the ppls that depended on the AF.lvlibp, but I'm not sure if that was necessary.

Rebuilt the exe, ran it, no error. 

There may have been dancing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,663 Views)