From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Actor Framework Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF PPL Crashes LabVIEW 2021 SP1 when Searching

Darren, since you're now the NI representative monitoring the forums now... have fun!

The title kinda says it all. My team has the AF library built into a PPL, but when that PPL is loaded into a project in LabVIEW 2021 SP1 (probably non-SP1 as well) and you do a search (Ctrl+F) originating from the FP or BD of a VI, LabVIEW crashes. In LabVIEW 2020 SP1, the search is fine.

I'm attaching AF PPLs for both 32-bit and 64-bit LabVIEW here so people can try this for themselves. These particular PPLs were written using LV2020 SP1 with AFDebug enabled, but I've tested it with PPLs built in LV2021 and different debug properties all with the same result - LabVIEW 2021 SP1 crashes. Other PPLs that I've tested don't seem to have this issue.

I'll open a support request for this as well, but thought I'd post this here to make others aware and to possibly crowdsource any workarounds.

CLA CLED AF Guild
Message 1 of 19
(2,130 Views)

Let me know the support request number (via PM or email or whatever) so I can make sure a Bug gets filed to LV R&D. If anybody posts any workarounds to this thread I'll be sure to include them in the Bug report.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(2,082 Views)

Thanks, Darren. Case # is 01563248.

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(2,071 Views)

I was able to reproduce the crash in both LabVIEW 2021 and 2021 SP1, 32-bit. I was unable to find any workaround.

Bug 2008920 has been filed to LabVIEW R&D.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(2,041 Views)

@Darren wrote:

Bug 2008920 has been filed to LabVIEW R&D.

Thanks - any idea of the soonest we might expect a fix? As you might imagine, this is bug quite annoying as it means you can't search for any objects on the palettes as well any comments. If this could make its way to an f-patch soon, that'd be a huge help.

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(2,031 Views)

@CaseyM wrote:

Thanks - any idea of the soonest we might expect a fix?

R&D is currently looking into possible workarounds and timelines for a fix. I'll let you know as soon as I find out anything.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(2,025 Views)

Casey,

LV R&D looked into your AF PPL that you attached to this thread and found that the Reply Msg.lvclass:Do.vi inside the AF PPL is corrupted, and that corruption is causing the Find crash. I built my own AF PPL (from LV 2020 SP1 32-bit) and was able to do a Ctrl-F in LV 2021 SP1 without the crash occurring. 

Could you try re-building your AF PPL, perhaps after maybe doing a force recompile of the AF VIs in vi.lib (in case anything is corrupted there) and see if the problem still occurs? Also, I've attached the AF PPL that I built to this reply in case you want to try that. Let me know what you discover.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(2,000 Views)

I'll give that a shot and report back. Thanks!

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(1,997 Views)

I tested it out and I also see the same behavior that you're seeing. Furthermore, if I remove Reply Msg.lvclass from the library and build (the default AF PPL project that you probably used to create your AF PPL does not include the Reply Msg) then the crash goes away.

I've force compiled that particular class as you suggested and that doesn't change the outcome - if that class is included as a part of the AF PPL, searching causes a crash.

We can probably get away with a new build of the AF PPL since we don't currently use the Reply Msg, but that doesn't mean that we never would.

Can you tell us exactly how it's corrupted? Do.vi within that class seems to open fine within LabVIEW so that would imply to me that the corruption is more hidden.

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(1,985 Views)

Can you send me the project with the build spec for the PPL that includes Reply Msg?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(1,980 Views)