From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myDAQ voltage measurement through analog input

Hi all,

I am a beginner to the myDAQ interface and electronics and trying to build circuits to see the performance of my 5V converters with various capacitors. I built the little converter setup below without any capacitors to check and record how the V increase while its turned on.

It simply uses the 15V voltage from myDAQ ports and converts it to 5V when the button is pressed. I checked it using the multimeter probes and with an another external multimeter and it seems working fine.

drmegu_0-1635083653678.png

I wanted to record how it switches on/off and used "test panel" feature at NI-MAX to see how it is doing during increase and decreases before writing a VI. Although I measure 5V using multimeters, this interface measures about -2V while the button is not pressed and when it is pressed it inceases to about 2.45 V. Please see below:

drmegu_2-1635084230433.png

I thought if this is because it is measuring in a differential setting but it cannot be changed. ~-2 - 2.45 V interval also makes only 4.5 V where half a volt is missing. So it did not make sense since the multimeters are measuring 4.99 or 5.00 V precisely.

Can somebody please tell me what is going on and the reason behind this? Can you also please guide how I can make it correctly?

Cheers,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,524 Views)

You've connected the GND of output to DGND, you've to connect it to AGND near the AI0+ and since you've connected only the AI0+ you've to configure the test panel to use "single ended RSE" instead of "Differential"

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 2
(2,489 Views)