From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myDAQ blew my USB port

I plugged in my myDAQ into a USB hub and started Elvis. In all of the instruments I got a weird error that the device failed calibration with some internal reference. (sorry, no screenshot, and can't reproduce for obvious reasons)

Since USB hubs are known to sometimes cause issues with hardware, I decided to plug it in directly into my laptop.

Where via the hub it showed up but gave weird errors, via the laptop it just did not register at all. Nothing.

Since then, the USB port completely stopped functioning.

I am of course extremely angry at NI for destroying my laptop.

I've had this thing for 5 years, and I'm cynical enough to think that NI will just shrug and say it's out of warranty.

Well, maybe I'm wrong and support will chime in with some good news, or maybe someone will read this and buy an Analog Discovery instead.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,145 Views)

Did you try rebooting the laptop?

Did you have some outputs shorted so they drew lots of current from the USB port? (There should be protection, but who knows).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,117 Views)

USB still dead after reboot.

Indeed I've seen overcurrent warnings a few times without ill effect, but when I plugged it into my laptop it was in fact completely disconnected to rule out any shorts in my circuit.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,111 Views)