Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting myRIO and gsm/gprs shield

I want to send sms from myRIO to a mobile phone. i am interfacing myRIO with seeed studio gsm/gprs shield .i have used UART pins for interfacing. i have problems while interfacing myRIO with gsm module.

I have conneted UART RX pin of myRIO to TX pin of gsm module and TX pin of myRIO to RX pin of gsm shield and connected 5V and gnd.

while interfacing myRIO with system through visa it shows error. the gsm shield is not detected in the system.

Please anybody help me

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,300 Views)

Is the logic (digital voltages) on the GSM shield 3.3V or 5V? The myRIO is 5V tolerant, but it's output levels are 3.3V which might not be being picked up by the GSM module. You'd need to use a logic level shifter to convert the 3.3V output of the myRIO to 5V if that's what the GSM shield is expecting. Also - posting a picture of the module is pretty unhelpful - you should post your LabVIEW code!

Are you selecting the right VISA port on the myRIO?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 5
(6,283 Views)

Thanks for your reply sir.

Gsm shield is powered by 5v of myRIO. BUT i am not able to interface it with visa.

It is the first time i am working with visa. please provide me with a basic steps for interfacing external devices to visa.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,266 Views)
My question is the same - is the logic on the GSM shield 3.3V or 5V? If it is 5V, then you will need a logic level converter to convert the 3.3V output of the myRIO to 5V.

You need to sort out your electrical interface before you even start thinking about the LabVIEW code - there are plenty of examples of NI VISA in the LabVIEW examples.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,229 Views)

Sir I am basic labview learner can i get a detailed manner how to interface with rio.. Please reply and i am in need as fast i can

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,606 Views)