Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MyRio IO without running on FPGA target

I've inherited a cDaq module, myRIO device, and a bunch of other serial communication devices which are all connected to my desktop.  Currently working on a VI that will use all of the devices.

Is it possible to use the Analog I/O from the MyRIO in a regular VI that's going to run from the computer (not the MyRIO FPGA)?  I'm running into a bunch of issues when I try to do this. Any examples that show this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,625 Views)

Hello usb6009forever,

The myRIO can run code in the FPGA and its Real-Time processor. Moreover, you can connect to a Host and transfer information through the network. All the IO need t go through the FPGA, since it is physically connected to it.

NI RIO communicationNI RIO communication

If the code runs in the myRIO's Real-Time processor, one of the myRIO personalities (Choosing FPGA Personalities (myRIO Toolkit)) should work for you to avoid having to program the FPGA. Else, I recommend checking out other communication options to send data to and from your host PC: Understanding Communication Options Between the Windows HMI, RT Processor, and FPGA, and Data Communication Methods in LabVIEW.

I also recommend checking the LabVIEW RIO Developers Guide.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,545 Views)