From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermocouple reading without DAQ

Hi everyone,

I'm new to labview and was ordered to write a program about reading the temperature from the thermocouple amplifier CHMCU-31856 without the DAQ device. And now, I have no idea what steps did I missed or am having a completely wrong idea about the whole system. What I had understand from the datasheet is when the CS is set low, there will be a clock signal output from SCK but now there is always a clock signal output from SCK no matter the CS is set high or low. Same as SDO which ouputs clock signal constantly when it should only output the clock signal when both CS and SDI are low.Can anyone lend me a helping hand?

Thanks,

Robert 

804517889.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,394 Views)

A short web survey bring up:

General DescriptionThe MAX31855 performs cold-junction compensation and digitizes the signal from a K-, J-, N-, T-, S-, R-, or E-type thermocouple. The data is output in a signed 14-bit, SPI-compatible, read-only format. This converter resolves temperatures to 0.25°C, allows readings as high as +1800°C and as low as -270°C, and exhibits thermocouple accuracy of ±2°C for temperatures ranging from -200°C to +700°C for K-type thermocouples. For full range accuracies and other thermocouple types, see the Thermal Characteristics specifications.

So I assume you have a breakout board with this chip (or a 31856 😉 

Read The Fantastic Datasheet 😉

See examples on how to establish a SPI communication....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,255 Views)