From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering myrio with external power supply

Hi

I am working on this school project with a myrio. It states about the device that "NI myRIO has a power requirement of 14 W with an input voltage range of 6 V to 16 V". I want to power the myrio with another power supply than the original one, since I have a single power supply that can be used to power multiple electronic devices. The external power supply I have can can provide 12V DC and 10 amp, I was wondering if this would be a appropriate fit for the myrio.

Is it correctly understood that the myrio will just draw the required amp needed to make up the 14W, 1.16666667A*12V=14W.

The link for the power supply is:

https://www.amazon.de/NEWSTYLE-Schaltnetzteil-Transformer-LED-Streifen-Haushaltsger%C3%A4te/dp/B07DL...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,175 Views)

Hey MikaKan, 

Your battery is 12 Volts, and 120 Watts (P =V x I, Power P in (Watts) is Voltage V (Volts) times Current I(Amps)). The NI myRIO manual  has got the power requirements you mention on page 24:

image.png

Can I Power My NI Hardware with a Battery?  says

• The battery's output voltage must be within the range specified by the 'power supply voltage range' of your device
  • The battery's maximum wattage must be greater than or equal to the device's 'maximum power consumption'.

12 Volts is in between 6-16 VDC and 120 Watts > 14 Watts so it looks like we're good to go!

I'd see Selecting a Battery for CompactDAQ Devices for equations on calculating battery life if you need them. 

Hope this helps,

Rebecca

Message 2 of 6
(6,147 Views)

Hi Mika,

Thank you for your post.

Please may I ask what the model number of your myRIO is?

As it is within the range I don't think there should be a problem. Also, check with the seller of the third-party power supply.

Kind regards,

YD

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,146 Views)

Hello MikaKan,

Yes, that supply will work fine to power myRIO. However, you should probably put a fuse in series with the wire going to the myRIO... maybe 2-3 A. The reason is that your supply has a lot of energy delivery capability. While the myRIO has input protection, any fault that happens at the connector or along the cable is subject to the short circuit current from the supply. In your case, that could be much more than 10 A. The DC input jack on the myRIO is rated for 5 A. 

Good luck!

Charles Y.

National Instruments

Message 4 of 6
(6,122 Views)

I appreciate this post .

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,583 Views)

We have a device that has a myRIO running it (we use almost all of the digital and analog I/O on the myRIO).  The system is entirely battery-powered, with the myRIO powered by a battery pack consisting of 8 NIMH 12V C cells, which can power it for several hours (I've not tried to measure the lifetime).

I've got another myRIO that I'm powering from a 10-year-old rechargable battery pack (the kind of thing you use to recharge your phone).  I forget its voltage, but I purchased a little voltage-shifter circuit card that (if memory serves) gave me 12 V out when plugged into the power bank (5 V, I think).  So now I have a "portable myRIO".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,451 Views)