From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering Servo Motor via breadboard to MyRIO

Hi,
I am working on a uni project which involves controlling a SG5010 TowerPro Servo Motor using myRIO and LabVIEW. I have created a LabVIEW VI which can control a SG92R Micro Servo over a pulse width of 0.5ms-2.5ms with 50Hz frequency with no issues.

I purchased the SG5010 servo as I need a stronger motor for this project, but when when I run the code it makes a ticking noise and doesn’t move consistently. The motor is connected to the +5V power output pin on the myRIO which has a maximum current current draw of 100mA. It seems that this +5V pin doesn’t supply enough current to power the SG5010 servo, but could be fixed with an external power source connected via a breadboard.

What type of power supply (voltage/current) can be used to control the SG5010 servo motor? I heard that servo motors can be powered using 4xAA batteries or a LiPo battery but I am not sure what current is required and what the best rechargeable or wall outlet option is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,355 Views)

Hello,

You are right, current is a critical parameter for any motor.

I found the below parameters:

VAKI_0-1633161555739.png

The resource is here.

15V power outputs seem can't deliver enough current. In this case, will be better to find an additional source to power the motor.

(1,294 Views)