Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyRIO fuse size

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am currently doing a project involving the myRIO. For safety reasons we would like to secure the myRIO with a fuse, but in the datasheet I cannot find any maximum current draw for the myRIO in order to find the right size of fuse.

Do you have any knowledge about the fuse size, the maximum current draw and/or the need for a fuse?

Best regards and thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,244 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lucas_S

Hello Lucas,

Is this about a myRIO-1900, and it's external power supply (PS)? Do you want to put the fuse between the external PS and the myRIO, or between mains power and the PS?

The data sheet states that the myRIO-1900 draws up to 14W. Depending on what voltage your power supply provides (myRIO accepts 6V to 16VDC as input) you can calculate the Amps you fuse needs (if between myRIO and PS). Fuse between mains power and PS is a different but similar story, due to the very high and the resulting very low current more complicated.

Please note that almost every country has different names for fuses. They e.g. range from "ultrafast" to "very slow". For electronic devices, you probably want at least "fast" ones.

If you want to protect your myRIO from external overvoltage or surges, then a simple passive fuse is normally not enough. You'll need some active components that filter overvoltage to a certain degree. As devices effectively protecting electronics are more expensive than a myRIO, I personally would not set them up for this.

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
Message 2 of 2
(2,216 Views)