Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NI myRIO Discontinued?

OK, I have Good News and Bad News.  The Good News is that, from my VM running Windows 10 (Version 1909), after uninstalling National Instruments Software (thoroughly) and removing the National Instruments Folders, then installing a fresh copy of LabVIEW 2019 SP1, including LabVIEW Real-Time, FPGA, and the myRIO Software Toolkit 2019, I can open and edit my current LabVIEW RT Project that uses myRIO.  More important, when I open MAX, (oops -- MAX just froze -- I may need to reboot ...

That's really weird.  MAX took a very long time to come up, then found no Remote Systems, then I rebooted, same thing.  Tried loading my Real-Time program into the myRIO, it started to Deploy, then just got "stuck".  I suspect this is a VM "thing".

But that's the Bad News.  The Good News is that if I open IE and type "172.22.11.2", after about 1-2 seconds, the System Configuration system comes up and shows me System Settings (the same screen that MAX shows when you open the myRIO in MAX).  So if you have Silverlight already (or can get your hands on a Silverlight Installation file), the myRIO appears to work with LabVIEW 2019, both the initial Release version and Service Pack 1.  Just be sure to run them in a "real" PC.

Bob Schor

P.S. -- spoke too soon!  When I closed this Post and got out of my Browser, the Project I was trying to deploy said "Deployment completed successfully."  Just a second to see if it actually runs ... Yes!!  It starts up the FPGA code which has a "Heartbeat" that flashes one of the LEDs on the myRIO (so I know "it is alive"), and it is now flashing.

So things from a VM take a while to figure things out, but LabVIEW 2019 still runs on the myRIO.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(940 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your efforts. Our problem is that IE cannot be installed on Windows 11 - this has been annouced for a couple of years I think. I'll make an inquiry at support.

BR 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(924 Views)

@MikeBravo74 wrote:

Thank you very much for your efforts. Our problem is that IE cannot be installed on Windows 11 - this has been annouced for a couple of years I think. I'll make an inquiry at support.

This is actually good news, as it might "encourage" NI to "get with the Program" and provide Web support that doesn't use Microsoft technology that Microsoft has abandoned!  With Microsoft aggressively "pushing" Windows 11 to all Windows 10 users, I truly hope that LabVIEW 22 will be "Windows" (meaning Windows 10 and 11) compliant ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(907 Views)

A new notification, "Last Time Buy, April 2025..." appeared on the myRIO web page. Are there more details about this? NI recommends transitioning to Digilent products instead. Of course, there are Digilent boards that are almost identical to myRIO hardware-wise, but does this mean that deploying LabVIEW code will only be possible using LINX installed on Digilent products? Since no Digilent products are currently in the NILRT supported products list, are there plans to change that?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(41 Views)

Yes, it does appear that NI, after a dozen years of producing a great product, has decided to stop making it.  There are single-board RIOs that are newer and probably "better" (not sure what I mean by that), but I, for one, will be sorry to see the myRIO vanish.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(28 Views)