Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NI myRIO Discontinued?

Hello all, I've been doing some online searches for myRIO (especially Digilent) and came across that myRIO has been discontinued. Can anyone on this forum assist in this information? We got a research grant and require myRIO as our embedded controller. Thanks in advance. Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,348 Views)

I hope not!  We use myRIO in some of our Projects, and I've steered some of our more inquisitive and adventurous Engineering students to check out this mighty package.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,287 Views)

You still can buy it from NI.
However you have to accept that the current and future software will not support, you have to downgrade your software to 2019.
This is the sad part, no more investment on this product, it is just a cash cow.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,275 Views)

@dog-block-sock wrote:

You still can buy it from NI.
However you have to accept that the current and future software will not support, you have to downgrade your software to 2019.
This is the sad part, no more investment on this product, it is just a cash cow.

I believe that, while there is no myRIO Toolkit 2020, there will be a myRIO Toolkit 2021, though it might lag a bit behind the roll-out of LabVIEW 2021.  From my discussions with people who work for NI, I think that the myRIO (and its software support) are not in serious danger at this time.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,093 Views)

Thanks. 

This is exactly what NI rep here told me. Thankfully our project isn't suffering at all. However we will have to make some serious investments in our Q14 milestones. Perhaps a cRIO since we are not quite sure about myRIO support in the coming 2 years. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,084 Views)

The myRIO has so much in such a compact little box, needing only a 15V supply, having WiFi, lots of A/D, D/A, digital I/O, etc., and an FPGA if you need fast ... 

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,075 Views)

Hello Bob Schor, 

I kindly want to ask you if you have tried to connect the myRIO in the LabVIEW 2020 version without an myRIO toolkit? 

Is this possible? And maybe is this possible without the installation of an older Version of LabVIEW?
For example by copying the expressVI from an older version and than introduce them (via an adjusted VI) into the 2020 version? 

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,982 Views)
Hello Bob Schor, 

I kindly want to ask you if you have tried to connect the myRIO in the LabVIEW 2020 version without an myRIO toolkit? 

Is this possible? And maybe is this possible without the installation of an older Version of LabVIEW?

Yes, it is possible.  I described my own experiences in doing this here.  In addition, @jorgemondadori also described his experience doing this slightly differently here. 

I'm working on a fairly major project with a myRIO at the center of it.  While I am disappointed that there is no myRIO Toolkit 2020 (and am 99% certain there never will be, but am 95% certain that there will be a myRIO Toolkit 2021), I was "new enough" to the myRIO and the Linux version of NI Real-Time that I deliberately did this Project in LabVIEW 2019.  Although I didn't use any of the Express VIs that came with the myRIO Toolkit, I felt "comforted" in having those VIs around and being able to use them in teaching myself "how-to" myRIO, to say nothing of learning about the things you can do with an FPGA.

So we haven't been installing LabVIEW 2020, but have stuck (for now) with LabVIEW 2019.  If you were my student, I'd say "Bring me your laptop and I'll (a) make a list of your installed NI Software, (b) remove all of it (including NIPM), and (c) install a "clean" LabVIEW 2019 system that has (basically) the same functionality of your LabVIEW 2020 system (unless you are using some of the latest Bells and Whistles that were released in 2020).

See if the links I mentioned above (and the description of what you can do with them) work for you.  I hope this is helpful.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,972 Views)

Hi Bob and others,

We currently have a discussion whether the web acces to the configuration page is possible in the future - the old documentation states that this must be done by IE explorer/Silverlight

The new documentation make no such claim.

In Windows 11 the IE Explorer/Silverlight is obsoleted and cannot be installed. Do you have any experience on this or do any body know the NI recommendation. Is the difference between old and new documentation a telltale that it is a no-problem?

We are currently using 2019 SP1

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,283 Views)

Funny you should ask (about Silverlight).  I just tried to "rebuild" a LabVIEW 2019 system (on a VM, yet) and ran into the problem with the lack of Silverlight.  NI says "You must download and install Silverlight from <here>" (that was a link), but when you click the Link (which takes you to Microsoft), you get a 404 Error saying "It is after October, 2021, when Silverlight disappears".

I just built this system today, and haven't yet tried using it with my myRIO.  I'll try to test it tomorrow and let you (and other readers) know what I find.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,258 Views)