From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myDAQ not working after updating Mac OS to High Sierra?

I updated my iMac to the High Sierra OS, and installed the latest NI-DAQmx for myDAQ driver. The driver seemed to install fine, and the system seems to recognize the myDAQ device, indicating that the self-test succeeded. But when I attempt the loopback test, it gives an error indicating that "NI-DAQmx is unable to communicate with the device." (Error -200324)

Any hints as to what is wrong? The same test worked fine some time ago, before I updated the OS.

Message 1 of 13
(6,359 Views)

RLSprouse,

Are these the steps that you followed?

Using the NI myDAQ with Mac OS

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P72ySAC

I noticed that it said the driver isn’t necessarily supported in High Sierra, but it might work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,331 Views)

Yes, this is the procedure I followed. One question: The error message I receive says to make sure the device is not reserved by another driver such as Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy). How do I determine if the old driver is active, and make sure the old driver is deleted?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,308 Views)

RLSprouse,

I found this about how to handle having traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) and NI-DAQmx:

Can I Use Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) and NI-DAQmx at the Same Time?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/890B0DA164567EAD86257AAE0057E1E2

What are you doing when it gives you that error message?

What does your device look like in NI MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,302 Views)

At this point, I can't do anything with the myDAQ under High Sierra. I reinstalled the NI-DAQmx for myDAQ driver, and when I go to the System Preferences panel and click the NI myDAQ icon, I get a window saying "System Preferences quit unexpectedly while using the nipalu plug-in.

Yesterday I was able to get things working running Windows 8.1 under Parallels. But that's not the way I want to work. I wish you folks would dedicate a little more resource on Mac support.

Thanks for your consideration.

Message 5 of 13
(6,278 Views)

I am also desperately trying to get myDAQ working on a mac with the High Sierra OS. Is there any progress with this topic?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,258 Views)

Can anyone from NI comment on the possibility of updating myDaq drivers for osx?

Message 7 of 13
(6,150 Views)

See this article: Installing NI Driver on MacOS High Sierra Causes Kernel Panic

From <https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019MguSAE>

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,801 Views)

Any news on this?

I am running OS X 10.13.4 and my myDAQ is not being detected by the utility tool:

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 23.26.39.png

My installation procedure was as follows:

1. Install LabVIEW

2. Install NI-DAQmx for myDAQ

After this, clicking the NI myDAQ utility in System Preferences caused the System Preferences program to crash. 

3. Install ni daqmx base

After this, I was able to open the NI myDAQ utility in System Preferences, however the device isn't being detected

4. Install NI-DAQmx for myDAQ again

Same as before, no progress

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,252 Views)

Hi zceejkr,

Unfortunately, NI-DAQmx is only supported on Mac OS X v10.9.x (x86_64) and v10.10.x (x86_64). What you could do is try using a computer with one of these versions of Mac OS or try using a computer running Windows.

I hope this helps,

Marti

Marti H.
ELP Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,232 Views)