Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to run Accelerometer.vi and FPGA module vi simultaneously?

I am trying to get the values from the accelerometer vi to be input to the FPGA module vi. However it seems that Labview doesn't allow both vis to be run at the same time together.

I also tried implementing the Accelerometer within the FPGA itself but it prompts that the personality does not allow it to be run.

Can anyone provide any insights on this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,609 Views)

All of the I/O on the myRIO has to go through the FPGA so really what the express VIs, like accelerometer.vi, are communicating to a deployed FPGA bitfile which they call the "default personality". It does a lot of house keeping too so it does things like check if the bitfile is already running so it can deploy it if need be and pass back an existing FPGA reference if it is already running, but at some level it usually ends with a read/write node which is passing data to and from the FPGA VI. The reason this matters is that only one bitfile can be running at a time on the FPGA, so if you are running your own FPGA VI by using the standard Open FPGA VI Reference and then trying to use any of the express VIs they will deploy over each other.

To get this to work, the Set Custom Biftile VI says that you must use this function before using a custom FPGA bitfile with the myRIO VIs. It apparently it is used in the Customized FPGA Signal Generator.lvproj so that might show how to use it better.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373925B-01/myrioreference/myrio_set_run_custom_fpga/

I would also consider just moving everything that you need over to your own FPGA VI though. The myRIO VIs are nice because they abstract a lot of detail away and are quick to use but I think you end up having more control if everything is in your FPGA VI.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,569 Views)

I'm having a similar problem. I am not using express VIs to read from the I2C. I use the ordinary ones and they read the accelerometer values fine on their own. However, when I open a reference to the FPGA (since I want to write data to the FPGA and read from it using the invoke vi) I get an error message that the reference needs to be closed. So it seems to not like both happening at the same time. So what exactly must I do?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,331 Views)

hi

did you find any solution to your problem ??

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,305 Views)

No I didn't find a solution

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,012 Views)