Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring torque with myRIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Background

I'm trying to measure torque with an torque cell (Transducer Technologies RTS-5) and myRIO. I've adopted NI's myDAQ/strain recommended code for the myRIO as suggested by NI here, but the output is garbage (noisy 0 V).

Sensor pinout

torque cell pinouttorque cell pinout

Suggested connections

guns2.PNG

My connections

myrio_connection.PNG

My code

my codemy code

I'm a bit confused about the Wheatstone aspect of the torque cell. Does the transducer contain its own Wheatstone bridge, or do I need to make my own bridge and connect the torque cell as one leg of the bridge?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,455 Views)

The wiring seems correct to me. How are your tasks configured? In addition, have you tried this outside of a timed loop?

Brian.D
NI Product Owner
VeriStand
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,397 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aeroAggie

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the radio silence. I figured out my problem! The output of the torque sensor (a full bridge device) was at most 2 mV which is near the resolution of the myRIO's ADC. I used an op-amp to amplify the signal before reading it with the myRIO. However, I also realized that I don't need a myRIO for my application, so I've switched over to a USB-6361 DAQ + SC 2345 conditioning block + SG24 strain gauge modules which automatically excite and amplify the torque sensor.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,369 Views)

Hi Brian,

Is it will function the same if i using a NI 9215 module slotted to the NI cDAQ-9172(NI CompactDAQ) ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,002 Views)

Hi Ashraf,

What are you trying to measure? I'm not sure an NI 9215 can handle bridge-based measurements.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,998 Views)

We trying to measure torque of a rotating wind turbine. Oh i see, that's mean I'm need a different module for bridge-based like NI-9237?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,995 Views)

Correct.

Some bridge-based sensors have a separate "box" that powers and scales the mV-level output of the sensor bridge into a standard analog signal (pos. and ground instead of pos. ground, and two ref. voltages). Then you can just use a standard analog input module.

Otherwise, you need a module made for bridge-based measurements.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,990 Views)