From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRio, write and acquire data - double FIFO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

i'm using myRio to read data from K-LC1a radar frontend, which have ramp signal input from -0,5-2 V (based on voltage, it makes chirp sine wave) and mixed signal IF output. The main task is to measure distance.

What i need to do:

• sample IF output signal up to 100kHz and calculate FFT (subtraction of sine waves, transmitting and receiving)
  • send ramp signal to frontend input

Since i have 100kHz wave to sample i need sampling rate on 200kHz+ level, so i see no other option than using FPGA interface.

I calculated that i need 2,5kHz ramp wave at frontend input.

I created "FIFO read" which is running, but i see no other options than int data (analog input and analog output are uword 16bit data).

1. The question is:

1. do i need to transform somehow int data to double in order to calculate FFT of measured signal
  2. how can i do that
  3. how i can transfer ramp signal from -0,5-2V to analog output of myRio (same thing as above, when i simulated raw labview i did simulate signal control, here it wont work double=/=int)

Here is my main VI.

2. Can i run simultaneously double FIFO? FIFO Write is "Host To Target" and FIFO Read is "Target To Host ", both DMA. I'm getting error just after Open FPGA reference block. They're compiled. Earlier i did run FIFO Read with no problem.

block_main.png

Here is front panel of VI above and error shown:

front_main.png

Here is my project window:

proj.png

3. Here is FIFO Read. I defined loop count as 5 us (this stands to 200kHz), but FIFO Read Timeout is tick count. Which clock tick's is it using (internal 25ns or this here 5us)?

block_read.png

4. Here's the same as above, 400us to 2,5kHz. Tried to recalcuted ticks to time, but compile end up with error. Next question is, how should i transfer my elements(matrix) to analog output(element). Here's my doubt.

block_write.png

Greetings,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,032 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Szyszku

I'm sorry, but can't see edit option. I solved following questions, atm i dont have any.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,936 Views)

Hello,

I am interested in how you solve.it.Can u tell me in details?

THX very much~My e-mail is 1549829765

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,876 Views)

Hello,

I am interested in the ways that you solve your problems. And I want learn from it. Can you teach me and tell me in details? 

Thanks very much!

My e-mail is 1549029765@qq.com

Thanks again~😊

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,874 Views)

Hello Dana_Yang,

1st of all, You need to create double FIFO method in one FPGA VI. But there's a better way to do it, since if You'll create FIFO to write data, You'll get a delay to communicate host and target that may decrease performance of myRio. Using memory method u can define signal inside of FPGA, and later u can configure it at start of program. 

2nd rates, myRio hava a capability to read 500kS/s and write 345kS/s, that gives a clock counter 2us and ~3us. 

3rd every input and output of myRio have different voltage range, see documentation (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376047c.pdf page 10), so if u want to create voltage at specific value, u need to transform it to integer and then transfer it to FPGA module.

4th In method shown up u can run simultaneously reading and writing. 

5th Timeout counts as clock cycles (40MHz)

Feel free to ask more questions

Greetings

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,863 Views)

Smiley TongueThank you so much, Szyszku~I am a greenhand in myRIO and desired to learn more about it. Despite I can not comprehense your explain entirely,I feel so excited to get to know "Memory".

I don not understand how to use memory, wonder how to transform voltage to FPGA. I will learn more to fix them. It will be wonderful if u teach me more.

THX,😊

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,858 Views)

Choose VI defined memoryChoose VI defined memoryYou need to define number of elements to generate and type. Type of values u can find in manual that i posted before.You need to define number of elements to generate and type. Type of values u can find in manual that i posted before.Define a function that will be generated from FPGA memory.Define a function that will be generated from FPGA memory.

Screen's show how to define memory. How to use it u can see on screens on my earlier post in FPGA. Now how to use them in program and how to convert those numbers to voltage.

1st voltage

As we can see in manual:

image.png

First u need to specify what range of voltage You need. I chose analog output C1, cause i need negative voltage -0,5V to 2V. We can read that is MSP connector +/- 10V. So maximum number (9.995V) will be 2047, and maximum negative (10V) will be -2048. Of course resolution is 4.883mV (see manual). Now specify ramp signal or sine to generate voltage that You want (remember to put integer I16(−32,768;32,767) at AO/C1). 

U can connect AO with AI to see results or use oscilloscope. Diagram shown post earlier is complete to use FPGA.

Initializing FPGA with defined memory like this will generate ramp signal from 0 to 800*4,883mV=3906,4mV  with period of 800*delay defined in Write section (see earlier post). You want to follow like this

image.png

Following product should work.

Greetings

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,849 Views)

Thanks a million, Szyszku~

I have some problems, when I use myRIO FPGA.

Can u have a look for me? The link is:https://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-ELVIS/Error-code-61206-to-control-step-motor/td-...

Thx Thx Thx~

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,829 Views)