Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound triangulation using MyRIO inquiry

Hello,

My objective is to triangulate sound source using MyRio. The idea is to connect three microphones to MyRio and measure the time difference between when the first mic recieves the sound and when the 2 other mics receive it.

Speed of sound is roughly 314 m/s, the distance between the mics is 0.5 m . it takes the sound wave 1.6 msec (at max) to travel from one mic to the other. so I need my device to be able to determine much less time difference than 1.6 msec in order to function properly.

can MyRio check three analog inputs in less than 0.1 msec?

not just checking, it needs to determine the amplitude of each one also with in the 0.1 msec.

if it can not, what do you recomend ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,623 Views)

The MyRIO has an aggregated AI rate of 500kS/s, so if you record three channels, you'll get 1/3 of that. There is also a time difference between the channels, because they are not sampled simultaneously. This can be accounted for when doing the calculations.

How precise do you need to be? Is this just a demonstration?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,589 Views)

I'm converting both time differences (between mic 1 and mic 2 ,,, and between mic 1 and mic 3) to an angle from -60 to +60  degrees (since I have 3 mics , each one covers about 120 degrees so I cover the whole 360 degrees). an error of about 10 degrees is acceptable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,586 Views)