From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Academic Hardware Products (myDAQ, myRIO)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDS output square instead of sinusoid

I have the NI USB-7855R R Series Multifuncrion RIO.

The block diagram can be seen attached. Its literally a sinusoid DDS connected to an FPGA I/O.

If I connect AO1 to my CRO I see a square wave +-10V at 500Hz.

Basically, I am seeing what I want except its a square wave instead of a sinewave.

DDS settings:

-freq 500 Hz  (I have tried diff freqs and thge result is always the same)

-full scale  (I have tried diff range sizes)

-0 deg Phase offset

-LUT 16k (I have tried diff LUT sizes)

-Amp res 16bit

-Top Level Clock  (40Mhz?)

Questions:

1. A person in my lab ran a similar program on their machine. Their 'Connector1 AO0' icon was blue (I16 format) where as mine is grey. Could that be relevant at all to my issues?

2. How do I view the Analog output settings? I can only find Input settings. Could this be a slew rate or DAC speed issue?

Any other tips/help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,305 Views)

Hi meeeeeeh

Did you mean to say that it is connected to a cRIO, or do you actually have a piece of hardware called a CRO? Also, if you are using a cRIO, what module and chassis are you using? I just want to verify that you are using an Analog In module and determine whether the issue could potentially be with the cRIO.

To answer your other questions:

1. The color indicates that the value is "calibrated" instead of "raw". This is probably the source of the issue, since the value is most likely a fixed-point value of 1-bit precision. You will more than likely want to change this value to raw. Here is a tutorial explaining the difference between calibrated and uncalibrated data on the NI R Series for USB.

2. I don't know of any way to edit analog out values for your NI USB-7855-R, but if the problem persists, I will look into this.

Let me know if this information is helpful or if you run into any other problems!

Andy F.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,281 Views)

Hello,

Okay thanks for your help.

Turns out it expected 20 / 5 bit formatted fixed point (15 frac, 5 exp bits), where as I thought it would want I16 but didn't know about the raw/calibrated.

All good, I fixed it up and a sinusoid is appearing 8-)

Cheers again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,271 Views)