3D Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KInect - Haro3D. Obtaining camera position

Hi All

Haro3D ia awesome.

I would like to now use it to determine the position of my camera (in real time).

Internally it is obviously calculating the camera position (at ICP stage).

How can this information (6DoF) be extracted?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,916 Views)

Hi Philippe_RSA,

thank you for the comment on the Haro3D library.

Concerning the position of the camera (for the Fusion API I assume), it is no so obvious. For the Kinect V1, I had developed an application where I was using my own camera position (calculated using coordinates from a robot) instead of the one calculated by the Fusion SDK. The goal was to be able to 3D reconstruct something that does not have enough features to use the camera tracking. So I replaced the calculated camera transform by my own. You can see the results in the following youtube video:

The problem is that the transform matrix used by the SDK (at least for the Kinect V1) does not behave as expected. I think that Microsoft is using a left-handed coordinate system. I could partially figure out how to make it work but only for translations and 2 rotations (that's why it works in the video). With more time, I might have been able to completely work out the math. Microsoft would not share the internal working of their algorithm (see the post below):

MSDN Post: Integrate my own camera pose in Volume Fusion.

So, I can make the world-to-Camera transform matrix available for the Kinect V2 but I do not intend to support or even test that feature. I would provide the matrix out of the Fusion API when using the Read_Reconstruction command, one way or the other. I am currently working on a new release of the Haro3D library with a few new features and a few bug fixes, on the LabVIEW tool network. Hopefully, I would be done within a month, and it takes at least another month to get the code through NI approval process.

Let me know what you think. Also, if you have the chance to post some of your results with the Fusion, I would be very interested.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,205 Views)