3D Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High resolution 3D vision for BGA inspection

Hello there vision guys,

Can I ask your suggestion about 3D vision setup that inspect for a bump height and coplanarity of Ball grid array IC.

I already have several projects with 2D imaging but this is my first time doing a project that requires 3D setup.

Initial information:

The vision should work on "stop and inspect concept" instead of a running inspection.

Size of feature to inspect is around 25 microns.

Also, I would like to verify if Labview is capable of 3D image processing or we need to buy/install specific modules/libraries?

Looking forward to discuss to you about this topic.

Regards,

wel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(9,400 Views)

With so little information, I can only give general advices.

I think that a line scanner would probably be the best bet for your application. There are several companies that provide products. Below are two that have LabVIEW drivers:

- Sick (sick.com/us/en/vision/3d-vision/ranger/ranger-c55412/p/p165856).

- Chromasens (chromasens.de/en/3d-line-scan-camera-3dpixa).

Notice that Sick has a document giving BGA inspection as an application example (sick.com/media/dox/8/18/818/Product_information_Ranger_3D_Camera_Fastest_3D_Available_en_IM0016818.P...).

LabVIEW drivers for Sick Ranger cameras and for Chromasens are both available on the LabVIEW Tool Network

Concerning 3D image processing, you can convert depth data directly into 2D images and use the LabVIEW Vision module for your measurements. If you want to use 3D image processing, LabVIEW has a few tools like sphere fitting but you would be mostly on your own. It all depends on what you want to do.

I have not used the Sick cameras myself but I have analyzed data from a Sick camera using 3D data to correct for object tilt. Once the tilt was removed, the 3D data were converted into a 2D image for analysis using the LabVIEW Vision module.

There is a library by ImagingLab that you can look at but I don't think it is intended for 3D measurements.

A library like Haro3D (for full disclosure: sold by me) might help manage cloud of points and meshes but does not provide any 3D measurement tool.

Let me know if that helps.

Marc Dubois

CLA, CTD, CPI

www.harotek.com

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,692 Views)

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for this insights.

Line scanner I think is a good approach but unfortunately I have a constraint in integrating the vision system with the existing machine handler. Machine handler moves in a pick and place method, that's why I am looking for options that doesn't require a DUT to move for scanning. Maybe somewhat like stereo vision or other 3d approach.

Anyway I'll try to read the links that you've provided.

Regards,

Luwell

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,692 Views)

I am currently at NIWeek and I saw that exhibitor proposing a product that makes high-resolution 3D mesurements on electronic devices. I know it is not exactly what you want; the measured device has to be moved in the X-Y direction, but hopefully it can help you in your quest.

www.amfaxa3di.com/specifications.html

Marc Dubois

www.harotek.com

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,692 Views)

Thank you, Marc Dubois, for enlightening such a new topic like the "3D vision for BGA Inspection". Besides the inspection of the correct position of pins, the EyeScan AT 3D sensor – together with the EyeVision image processing software – can also check for the flawlessness and position of balls on a Ball-Grid-Array. The connectors of BGAs can be inspected with the 3D sensor for various characteristics up to an accuracy of a micrometer (µm).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,117 Views)