From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NI PCI-6562 stream data out at high rates?

Hello.

I am evaluating the NI PCI-6562 for a data streaming application.  The application requires continuous (e.g. several minutes) data transfer at high rates,  e.g. 400Mb/s.

Can the PCI-6562 board support this? I could not discern it from the data sheets given online.  Here I found a solution for streaming from the board to disk. But I did not find a solution for going the other way around.

Assistance is appreciated.

Greets,
f

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,451 Views)
Hi filmil,

I will be happy to help with your steaming question.  In order to better assist you, could you provide more information.

1) Are you trying to perform an acquisition, generation, or both?  If generation, is the pattern repeating?
2) How many channels are you using?
3) What rate will you be acquiring/generating?

Thanks,

Ryan
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,446 Views)
I need very fast output, and I have real time constraints on the data rate. The data pattern is not repeating. It is involved to describe the application itself, so I'll try to turn the question around:

What is the maximum rate that the device can sustain? Channels can be combined for greater throughput, also devices can be combined if needed. Assume that the data come from an uniformly random process, so no compression is applicable.

If this has not become apparent, I want to abuse the signal generator device for data streaming.

f

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,444 Views)

Since your first post mentioned 400Mb/s, I will assume you are trying to generate at 200 MHz in DDR mode. If this is the case, channels 0-7 will be used for generation. Each generated sample will be 1 byte.  Since we are running at 200 MHz DDR, the rate of the generation is 400 MB/s (200 MHz x 2 x 1 byte).

Please note that 32 bit 33 MHz PCI's maximum theoretical bandwidth is 132 MB/s.  If the required data cannot be stored on the HSDIO card's onboard memory, it will not be possible to continuously stream data across the PCI bus at the needed rate, 400MB/s.  The fastest rate I have obtained, is ~120 MB/s using a Conduant Streamstor.  Working back from this rate, the maximum rate I would expect to continuously generate would be ~60 MHz (120Mb/s) in DDR mode.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ryan

Message Edited by ryanm on 01-29-2007 11:30 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,435 Views)