RF Measurement Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-5681 firmware update

The 2 ways I've found to update the firmware on the USB-5681 both do not work.  In the SFP the option is greyed out.  I launched the updater directly and it shows no sensor.

I have VI's I made that seem to work, but the sensor always seems to disappear or have problems in MAX that only a system reboot can fix.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,640 Views)

Hi Hepcat,

I'm not sure if updating the firmware is the best option to troubleshoot this problem. Is there a reason you arrived upon updating firmware to be the best option?

That being said, we can try a couple of other steps to see where the problem may be.

1) Have you tried the device on another computer?

2) Do you have another device you can use on this computer?

3) Have you tried different USB ports on your computer?

4) Have you tried a new USB cable?

5) What version of the NI-568x driver are you using? 

6) What operating system are you using? 

7) One thing we can check is that your NI services are running. Sometimes when devices do not show up in MAX, a service called NI Device Loader is not started. To verify this, go to the start menu of your computer, then click on run. In the run window, Open "services.msc". This should bring up the services window. The service NI Device Loader can be found here. I would verify that all NI services that have a Startup Type of Automatic has a Status of Started. If a service does not have Started as the Status, right-click on the service and select Start. 
😎 What color is the LED on the power meter?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,606 Views)

1) Have you tried the device on another computer?

Last time (2013) I tried to use this meter was on a different PC.  It's always been a bit sketchy, I finally just gave up until recently.  I says it has firmware 3.5, since the download has no version at all, I was hoping it's possible there was an update in the past 4 years.  Last time I was using a beta release of the driver and it wasn't stable enough to put on the floor.

2) Do you have another device you can use on this computer?

I have a 5680-01 I just found, I'll try it.

3) Have you tried different USB ports on your computer?

Yes

4) Have you tried a new USB cable?

Only have the one.

5) What version of the NI-568x driver are you using? 

6) What operating system are you using? 

Win 7

7) One thing we can check is that your NI services are running. Sometimes when devices do not show up in MAX, a service called NI Device Loader is not started. To verify this, go to the start menu of your computer, then click on run. In the run window, Open "services.msc". This should bring up the services window. The service NI Device Loader can be found here. I would verify that all NI services that have a Startup Type of Automatic has a Status of Started. If a service does not have Started as the Status, right-click on the service and select Start. 
😎 What color is the LED on the power meter?

Green, atm

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,600 Views)

As I mentioned on the duplicate of this question. There is no firmware update for the NI-5681. Can you give me some details about the sketchiness?

Thanks,
John Fenner
RF Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,597 Views)