From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-6281 downgrade

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a mechanical system using NI PCI-6281 DAQ, and need to duplicate it for expansion. I only need one A/O channel to generate waveforms in the frequency range of 1 to 200 Hz, and up to 4 differential A/I channels. For the maximum working frequency of 200 Hz, I believe the sampling rate at 2000 samples/second would be sufficient. 

Considering the cost of PCI-6281 at ~$2100, I would like to replace the card with the options of PCIE-6321 at ~$700 or PCIE-6323 at ~$1000, or even Advantech PCIE-1816 at ~$700. So my questions are:

1. Do I need to re-do the control program developed under LabView, or simply re-configure the channels for the replacement cards?

2. Should I expect any incompatibility issues considering the working frequency range, different slots (i.e. PCI vs. PCIE), etc.? 

3. Any better replacement options?

Thanks for your input!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,900 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Katy23426

As long as your program used DAQmx, you just have to configure your card in MAX to match the settings.  Everything else is completely transparent to your application.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(2,877 Views)
Solution

+1

There might be some device specific differences (some internal connections that can(not) be made, counter operations etc.) but if your code is not using any advanced triggering or synchronization options it should be like crossrulz said.

Message 3 of 4
(2,841 Views)
Solution

Advice so far is correct if you stick with a regular NI data acq board, but *NOT* if you use the Advantech board.  That would have a whole different driver and api, requiring changes to your program.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 4 of 4
(2,838 Views)