Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange analog behavior on USB-6356

I have a USB-6356 DAQ that I am using an a Windows XP machine running LabVIEW 2011.  The analog side of the DAQ is not behaving as expected.  Using the test panels in MAX, the AI channels show either ~0V or 10.2 V.  For a simple input signal I am measuring a DC voltage generated by a battery through a voltage divider.  I have the signal connected as suggested in the user manual for a floating source: AI+ to V+, AI- to GND and AIGnd to GND.  I tried multiple channels and get the same result.

On the analog output channels I get 0.85 Vdc output no matter what I set the output voltage to be or if I set the AO to be a sine wave (signals measured using a digitial multimeter and o-scope). 

The digital port appears to be working correctly. I can toggle the state from low to high and the readings are correct.

I have applied the DAQ Hotfix patch and this did not change the behavior.

The board is relatively new and worked previously so I am not sure what has changed or if I am overlooking something obvious. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,111 Views)

Corey,

Unless you omitted it from your description, it sounds like you're missing a connection from V- to AI-.

So you'd have V+ to AI+ (Pin 68)

V- to AI- (Pin 34)

and AI- to AIGnd (Pin 34 to Pin 67)

Does this line up with what you've done?

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,105 Views)

I am using the USB version of the 6356 DAQ so the pin numbers don't match your list, but I am wiring in my signal as you describe.  For example to do analog input on the AI0 channel I am connecting V+ to pin 1 (AI0+), my battery ground to pin 2 (AI0-), and then jumpering pins 2 and 3 (AI0- to AI GND). 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,099 Views)

Hi Corey687,

It sounds like you have everything wired properly.  You may want to try to wire your application to another channel such as AI1.  Have you verified with a voltmeter the values you should be seeing?    

Cole R.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,080 Views)

I verified that I had a DC voltage in the right range using a DMM and tried a couple different AI channels and got the same result.  I ended up contacting NI tech support yesterday afternoon and just sent the board back for inspection there.  If they find a definitive cause for the improper readings I will post that here.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,071 Views)