From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automotive Diagnostic Command Set and CANFD

Hello fellows,

I am working in a project where I need to use CAN FD and UDS Diagnostic.

I found that PCI 8512 is capable to support CAN FD however, I did not find on ADSC (Automotive Diagnostic Command Set) no example or functions that will allow to UDS Diagnostic on CAN FD. Essentially, the trick is to configure both the BaudRate and DataRate. There are two different rates. 

Has anyone used UDS in CANFD with ADSC? If yes, please advise.

Thank you in advance for any advises.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,189 Views)

I haven't used the Automotive Diagnostic Command Set but I can comment on setting the different rates.

If you consider the OSI model layers...

The "baud" and data rates are handled at a lower level than UDS on CAN should need to worry about.

The UDS (ISO 14229) spec refers to packets of data in terms of things like an "A_PDU" (Application layer Protocol Data Unit). These objects don't care how they are packeted for transport through lower layers.

The network and transport layers (for CAN it was ISO 15765-2 and 15765-3) should handle the different data packed sizes possible and different data rates are handled at the even lower data link/physical layer.

All of this should be transparent to the higher UDS layer.

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,160 Views)

Hello TroyK,

Thank you for your reply.

I agree with you, on OSI level, the baud rate should not be a problem.

However, even though NI Xnet supports CAN FD, only at frame level. In case someone wants to use UDS on Xnet, it is require to program and develop with Xnet API, Automotive Diagnostic Command Set does not support CAN FD features. I have received communication from National Instruments Engineers.

Per my understanding, there should be a new version of ADCS in the beginning of next year.

Regards,

TS

Message 3 of 3
(3,066 Views)