LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you enter a non-localhost IPv6 address into this example VI?

I found this LabVIEW project online that runs IPv6 for Windows using what I believe is the Winsock API. I'm trying to test the VI to link two laptops running Windows LabVIEW 32 bit together with one computer acting as the server and the other acting as the client.

The default IPv6 address in the VI is the localhost address "::1". If I run the sever and client VI with the localhost address "::1" on the same laptop, it works, but if I try to enter an IPv6 address, like "bbbb:bbbb:bbbb:bbbb:bbbb:bbbb:bbbb:bbbb", I get a bind() error.

I've attached the LabVIEW project with VIs and subVIs for Windows IPv6.

Could someone please try it on their PC and tell me if the VIs even work?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,226 Views)

I haven't looked at the code but a bind() error would indicate that you use the wrong address to specify.

Technically when creating a connection something like this happens:

s = socket(family, protocol);

if (localaddress)

bind(s, localaddress);

connect(s, remoteaddress);

The local address is optional since if it is not provided the connect() call will implicitly bind the socket to all currently active network interfaces. If it is provided the socket is bound to the local network interface to which the specified address is assigned, so it will only receive data-packets that come in through this particular interface.

So you should check that you did not accidentially specify your address to the localeaddress parameter, that is only used if you want to use a specific local network interface.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,170 Views)

After some research, it seems that I must use the following IPv6 for my two computers:

Computer 1 IPv6 Address: fd00::1

Computer 2 IPv6 Address: fd00::2

Computer 1 & 2 Subnet Mask: 64

This took away the bind() error, but now my computers still cannot talk to each other via IPv6. Unfortunately, because of my admin privileges, I cannot set my second computer to the correct IPv6 address i.e. it keeps resetting to 'Obtain IPv6 Address Automatically.'

Can someone with two computers running LabVIEW please test the program? I've attached another zip project file for LabVIEW 2015.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,148 Views)