From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview will not install on W10 1703

There seems to be a problem with Labview -  either version 2016 or 2017 installing on W10 1703.

I am using a clean install of W10 1703, and my Labview installation packages are held on our departmental server. Both versions 2016 and 2017 have previously  and will still install perfectly on W10 1607 - but on trying to install on 1703 the installer never progresses past 0%. No NI folders get created in the programs(x86) folder - as far as I can see the installation does not even begin to start... The progress bar continuously flashes a 1mm green line on the left hand side as if it is trying to begin, but does not progress. Clicking on cancel has no effect other than to show a message "waiting to cancel. To stop immediately cancel the installer" The software bundle window will eventually close but the installer window remains open. The only way to terminate the failing installation process is to use the task manager. I have tried turning off the W10 Defender real time protection but that makes no difference.

I am reading other anecdotal reports of failing installations on W10 1703 - however I have not as yet found anything 'official' from NI...

Are there any updates on this problem??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,249 Views)

Have you tried right clicking the install and running as Administrator?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,226 Views)

If you try creating a log for the installation it may point you towards the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,218 Views)

I hadn't as I was logged in on my domain admin account anyway. However I have now tried 'run as administrator' and it still stops at 0%.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,216 Views)

Unfortunately creating a log file is not an option for me as I am not using an installation media, but rather as described in my original post a preconfigured network installation.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,210 Views)

Who set up the preconfigured network installation?  You may want to talk to them.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,198 Views)

Doubt very much it's a problem with the network installation setup - that basically just collects user and PC info for the network  licence server and provides options of packages to install. All of that part of the procedure works just fine - its purely the actual programme installer that hangs. Plus as already stated, all of our available network setups - 2015, 2016 and 2017 work fine on both Windows 7 and any version of W10 prior to the new Creators 1703 release.... I am thinking a possible workaround might be to install Labview on W10 1607 which I know will work and then upgrade W10 from 1607 to 1703.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,190 Views)

I find your notion extremely interesting.  I've been working with NI Support Engineers on a similar issue, but even more maddening.  I reported (about two months ago?) that when I tried to install LabVIEW 2017 on my Windows 10 (1703) laptop that had LabVIEW 2016 that I'd been using for a year just fine, things "went south" very quickly, starting with MAX failing to run.  I was able to replicate this problem with an uninstall/reinstall cycle, and document when NI Services started to fail.  I thought it was an "on top of" issue, and NI seemed to maybe agree (they said they could replicate my findings, then said they no longer could do so).  Meanwhile, it took me about a week to get the Laptop working with just LabVIEW 2016.  

While doing more testing (before NI said they saw it, too), I also successfully built a LabVIEW 2016 + LabVIEW 2017 system on a test desktop machine at work, also running Windows 10 (1703).  Being a glutton for punishment, I started trying this out on my Desktop at home, removing LabVIEW 2016 (and earlier) and trying to (re-)install LabVIEW 2014, 2016, and 2017.  This time, I think NI Update hosed me, as it introduced some 2017 pieces during the update process for 2014, so I now have another rebuild to do.

I like your idea of installing on a 1607 system, then letting it update the OS to 1703.  I'm going to guess that this will work, and if so, might be a very important "clue" for NI as to what might be going on with the current LabVIEW Platform and Windows 10.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,173 Views)

Thanks for your input Bob.

I have read quite a few threads where it seems that previously installed  versions of Labview can screw up later LV version installations.

In my case however I'm using a freshly installed W10 - from our Enterprise 1703 media - not been customised at all with 'business' GPO's or deployed by SCCM , it's just as MS intended it 'out of the box'. With there being no possibility of any previous Labview installation files knocking around it does seem highly likely that there is some incompatibility with 1703 and the NI installer....

If you look here:-

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/the-installation-of-labview-2017-development-system-never-finish/td...

message 6 from an NI Labview developer in Brazil is also stating that the NI installers are broken on W10 1703.

So come on NI - how about some response to this??

I'll post back when I get a chance to test out installing on 1607 and then upgrading the whole thing to 1703

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,163 Views)