From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating VI Analyzer Tests

How many of you would see value in being able to create your own VI Analyzer tests for analyzing LabVIEW code?

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,057 Views)

You can already save analyzer configurations. I did that for my team some time ago, so it's customized to only look at what we deem important. Or are you referring to some other kind of configurations?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,640 Views)

I assume Eli means creating your own tests using scripting or a UI which will hide the scripting, but use it behind the scenes.

Since I don't use the VI analyzer (I've had a copy of 7.0 which didn't have it until now and didn't get around to using it in 8.6), I can't really give an answer on that, but I have a feeling it wouldn't be practical in our current environment. That said, if I was using it, I assume that I would want that feature.

(3,640 Views)

That would be a great addition.

But more importantly I think I want a better capability for analyzing the data (pun intended).  I want to categorize the errors when I export to a file.  I want to easily search on a type of error and see were it occurs and also be able to filter out errors on that exported file.  Thanks for asking!!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,640 Views)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  To be clear, I was, as Nancy said, referring to the ability to analyze one's own block diagrams and determine if some guideline or programming construct had been violated.  We're investing in improvements and changes to future versions of VI Analyzer, and we're always eager to hear what the customers want.

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,640 Views)

Hi Elijah,

I think this would be a great option. I have seen some reference to User Defined Test's, I cannot remember where now, and so I assumed therefore this could be done to some extent.

We make extensive use of the VI analyser here, running the VI analyzer over all new / changed code is a formal part of our peer review process.

It would be nice if some of the current tests were not password protected , I would love to be able to see the wire bends test and have a play to see if it could be maybe more usefull for us, I find it is in principle a good test and has caught some real coding standard issues, but does raise many false reports for me. If you have a single wire that then splits into five each it counts each split as a wire bend but to us here these are not really wire bends.

Another comment on the Analyzer is I do not see how to tell which version of the Analyzser I am using, I think there has been a couple of VI Analyzser releases.

I do think it is a great tool.... Lint for LabVIEW and look forward to it getting better.

cheers

dannyt

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,640 Views)