kl3m3n's blog

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D point cloud registration in Labview using PCL - Point cloud library (C++ source code, dll, Labview example)

Klemen
Active Participant

Hello,

turns out I have a little bit more time, so the next post is here!

I am just going to paste the intro to this post from the end of the previous post titled "Kinect in Labview using PCL - Point cloud library (C++ source code, dll, Labview example)":

"My next post will be talking about point cloud registration (also in Labview using PCL). I have used ICP (iterative closest point) algorithm in one of the previous posts to align two point clouds, but no coarse alignment/registration was made prior to the refined ICP registration. So in some cases, the alignment using only ICP is incorrect (mostly for greater degree of transformation - rotation and translation - between two successively acquired point clouds)."

So for example, if you want to align the following point clouds (similar object/surface, but different position in space - so two acquired point clouds from different point of view) the ICP yields an incorrect result - in my case the algorithm does not converge:

source_target.png

Figure 1. Source point cloud/surface (gray) and the target point cloud/surface (green).

Using the feature based initial alignment (MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE REGISTRATION AND ITS PARAMETERS etc... CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THE PCL web site, so I will not go into these details here) the result is:

source_target_sacia.png

Figure 2. Source point cloud/surface (gray), the target point ploud/surface (green) and the transformed source point cloud/surface (red) after initial alignment.

And after the initial alignment, the ICP algorithm produces the following result:

source_target_sacia+icp.png

Figure 3. Source point cloud/surface (gray), the target point ploud/surface (green) and the transformed source point cloud/surface (red) after initial alignment and ICP.

Also, the point clouds are filtered prior to registration using the MLS filter, that is not included (this is also a part of the PCL library and I use a seperate .dll for filtering). The Labview example is saved for Labview 2010.

I am attaching the source code, dll and a Labview example program. You need PCL 1.6.0 to be able to run/modify the example. The .dll was built using Visual Studio 2010x86.

Best regards,

K

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/kl3m3n

"Kudos: Users may give one another Kudos on the forums for posts that they found particularly helpful or insightful."
Comments