NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea
Dale_Chayes

(Reasonably) equal treatment for OS X (please)

by Member Dale_Chayes on ‎11-24-2010 05:44 PM

While NI provides (thank you) reasonable support for OS X these days, the support for installs and updates "on line" are very far behind those for Windows.

For instance, there does not appear to be any option to download Labview 2010 for Mac but I can for Windows.

When using a case structure within a loop for a state machine, or when using an event structure, it is frequently necesary to either add a new case/event or add a new state variable to the structure.  This can lead to unexpected behavior if the user has accidentally used "Use Default If Unwired" on an output node, and will require time consuming wiring of all cases otherwise. The Linked Input Tunnel Option helps with this.  However, the mass of state variable wires, if there are several, still creates a confusing and cluttered diagram.

It would be nice to add a "Feed Through if Unwired" option.  This would allow us to wire ONLY the variables that need to change, and only need to examine the relevant cases.  Additionally, you would get a nice clean diagram.  Here is one idea, shown for an Event structure:

NI Shift Reg Suggestion_sm.JPG

falkpl

allow user created growable functions

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎11-24-2010 11:49 AM

Many built-in functions have the growable ability. Essentially a function that accepts an array of data in scalar form, this saves the step of building an array prior to wiring a terminal.  I would like to select any  1-D array on a connector pane and mark as growable.  Then when the vi is used as a subvi, the icon would have the growable ability.  This could have been used as for example for making a growable error handler or implementing new compound math functions.  I know this is probably hard to do and might be possible with xnodes but I dont have time to learn this.  It is useful for making reuasble toolkits which look more like the native G functions

It would be useful if we can access the plot color and point color separately on the plot legend itself as we do in the properties dialog box of the graph instead changing it by toggling the space bar

graph plot legend.jpg.

srdfrn

Run as Administrator Option for System Exec VI

by Member srdfrn on ‎11-22-2010 05:23 PM

It would be nice to add another dimension to the system exec.vi that gives the user the option to open up the “Run as Administrator” command prompt in Windows 7.  This would enable a system administrator to use LabVIEW to make certain, currently restricted, changes to the computer.  I don’t believe it would create a security risk because you have to be logged in as an administrator anyway to have the access rights

As far as I’ve seen, there really is no string that you can enter into the command line that will instruct an elevated command prompt to open.   With this added functionality in the system exec vi, however, you will be given more flexibility with what you can do through your LabVIEW program.

Elevated?

schrotti

Navigate with arrow keys in dialog boxes

by Member schrotti on ‎11-22-2010 11:17 AM - last edited on ‎11-22-2010 01:09 PM by Active Participant Laura F.

It would be nice if we can use the arrow keys to switch the key focus between the buttons of the dialog boxes which for example appear if you close an unsaved VI. I don´t know how it works in Linux and Mac OS, but in Windows the most dialog boxes support that.

0 Kudos

It would be nice to have an option in XYgraph that could allow the user to define some set of spatially related points (or cluster in statistics) by drawing some boundaries with complex shapes using the mouse. Here is the problem that brought me to write this post. Let's say that we have a series of data {x1,x2...xi...xn} that represents the duration of time between two adjacent heart beats. The pointcare plot is the representation of the points [xi,x(i+1)] and that can be achieved to by the XYGraph function. Using this graphic, it is expected that adjacent intervals with almost similar values will form a cloud (circular, eliptic or with more complex shapes) centered around the average values of the xi. Now, unusual changes between adjacent xi values in the time series (lower or higher x(i+1)) will result in points outside of the primary cloud. This is an easy way to identify abrupt changes in a time series.

The step I'm blocked with the following. After I used the XY graph to plot the [Xi,X(i+1)], I would like to use the mouse the draw the border of the primary cloud and extract separately the indexes of the point in or points outside the border. 

Again, I really appreciate your help for that.

Olivier 

Nandagopal

Automatic Coersion Handling wherever possible

by Member Nandagopal on ‎11-22-2010 06:51 AM

It would be nice if LabVIEW handles the coersion automatically by inserting the required conversion function with inserted function in different color or in any other representation wherever possible so that user understands there is a coersion happening and in the same case we will not have performance pitfalls. Example scenario is show in the picture.

coersion.jpg

If the user still want the coersion, there can be an option of "Forced coersion" in the right click menu of the inserted function.

Hello,

It would be nice to add a new menu item in Labview IDE, which could close all executing VI's.

This could solve the problem of "running Modal VI's" which can "block" an execution.

This could also be helpfull to "clear" the execution context when you have bad closed "detached and assynchonous executing VI's".

The top, would be to get a report (a list of VI's in a window) of the forced closed VI's ... It would be helpfull for analysis.

Manu.net

Jim_Kring

Cancel Button on Save All dialog

by Active Participant Jim_Kring on ‎11-21-2010 03:46 PM

Sometimes I select File >> Save All accidentally when I mean to just do a File >> Save.  I really wish there were some way to press Cancel/Abort so that it would stop wherever it is in the process.

SteveChandler

Include JKI State Machine in Templates

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎11-20-2010 07:06 PM

Ok this idea would be trivial for NI to include in 2011.Heck I could do it.

The idea is simply to include the JKI state machine in File/New/Design Patterns. It is BSD code and I am sure that JKI wouldn't mind anyway.

I must admit that I have an ulterior motive. If this were included in the NI distributed templates then I could use the JKI state machine for my CLD exam. And so could you!

Now let the kudos start rolling in so NI will take notice.

Okay, I have a minor annoyance to whine about:

Have you ever noticed that, when deleting a length of 1 from a 1D array, an array rather than an element is returned from the "deleted portion" terminal?  To perform most actions on the deleted portion you have to use the "index array" function.

An example is illustrated below:

DeleteFromArray.png

I'm bracing myself to get called out on my laziness here, but if I'm to be honest I've always been a little annoyed to have to index out of that array.  Personally, I'd like to see this function return a single element when the length is set to "1".  Am I the only one?

Log.MAN

Project templates

by Member Log.MAN on ‎11-19-2010 02:20 PM

Hi, guys

Do you use Templates in LabVIEW?

You might have used VI templates in LabVIEW (*.vit).

You might have used control templates in LabVIEW (*.ctt).

You might even used VI templates and control templates together.

Why can't we create templates for complex libraries like project files or (class-)libraries?

For example:

I've created three template VIs which are connected to one control (TypeDef) template.

(The three VIs are for loading, editing and saving the data of the control template to a special kind of data.)

014.jpg

But using the VI templates will create a separate control (TypeDef) for each VI!

015.jpg

If I could put the Templates together in a library or project, It would make things easier,

because LabVIEW 'could' already know about the connection between the two template VIs

and the template control (TypeDef).

That's just a simple example which could get much more complex on whole project templates.

Until now I have to copy the project template and use it as I need to. It works somhow, but

multiple people using the same template causes much trouble (Someone always forget to create

a copy before changing it :smileysurprised:)

So there's the idea. What do you think?

I'm a bit surprised that I could not find this suggestion already...but hopefully then it's not just an oversight by me...:

In the Edit Events dialog you can only add events from one source at a time, it should be possible to select multiple sources and add the same single (OR multiple there as well) events from those sources in one go. The event source selection should filter the events-list so that only the events that are common for the selected sources are shown.

In pictures...you should be able to do what I have imagined(!) doing in the bottom picture here:

multisource.gif

juergen

Separate compiled code from source file

by Member juergen on ‎11-19-2010 02:21 AM - last edited on ‎11-22-2010 10:09 AM by Active Participant Laura F.

The new VI Property in the category " General "

Separate compile code from source file

and the equaling property node is call  " Contains Compiled Code Property"

So for me is that not equal one time it is positive and on the other side it is negative

So I would love to have both positive

I hope that is clear

Jürgen

0 Kudos

I had a customer call in that wanted to be able to increase the limitation that Excel allows us to import. He has found a work around in which he creates a Visual Basic Macro in excel. He uses Active X in LabVIEW to open excel, and this puts the macro into use and overwrites the limitation. He was hoping that LabVIEW could do this for him and others so he would not have to write separate code in Visual Basic.

stbe

Editing the String Label of Event structures

by Member stbe on ‎11-17-2010 11:10 PM

Inspired by http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Event-Structure-Dragging-a-Terminal-to-Automatically-S..., it would be nice if we could edit the label of each event case the same way as for in the case structures.

That would allow us to add events by typing - and hey, even auto-completion would be possible :smileywink:

Further, adding/duplicating event cases could be done like in case structures [ Ctrl+(Shift+)Enter ] ...

When building an application, the build will fail if any of the VIs are broken.  But, the build doesn't fail until very late in the build process.  It would be great if the build would fail right away if any VIs are broken.

Note: In one of our big applications, it sometimes takes 30 minutes into the build before the build fails.  However, it only takes a couple minutes to detect this by loading the VIs into memory and testing if they are broken.  So, as part of our one-click build, we implemented a pre-build test for broken VIs and abort the build -- this saves us a lot of time (in cases where the build is broken).

jacemdom

Arrow when wire goes under object

by Member jacemdom on ‎11-17-2010 04:57 PM

Add an arrow to a wire when it goes under an object. Would remove the need of going around a small object just for clarity.

wire under object.png

TiTou

separate Vision and Motion palette

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎11-17-2010 02:22 AM

How comes these 2 palettes avec merged in one called "Vision and Motion"?

I'd rather have a Vision palette and a Motion palette.

Plus, if you only install Vision (and not Motion) then the palette name is "Vision and Motion" but in fact it only contains vision functions, so the palette name is inadequate.

See here :

Clipboard02.png

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Idea Statuses