NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea
Tushar_Jambhekar

Try catch structure

by Active Participant Tushar_Jambhekar on ‎10-25-2010 07:27 AM

Currently errors can be connected to the case structure and appropriate case can be executed.

Many languages do error handling with try catch type of code, I think a structure like it would be much more efficient than propagating errors.

ErrorCases.PNG

normally code will start execution from code case, if any error occurs then it will immidiately switch to error case, and irrespective of error occurance finalyy case would be executed in the end.

oenk

Add "error in" connector to local variables

by Member oenk on ‎10-25-2010 03:19 AM

Sometimes you want to use local variables and sometimes these were accessed in one state twice (e.g. read it and after that reset it).

To follow the data flow paradigm one can:

a) create a new state called "reset XY variable"

b) place a sequence around it and wire an error code through it

c) use the new error in connector at the local variable

where:

(a) is not always IMHO good style as the state machine gets bigger and bigger

(b) is not always good to read

(c) may be nice...no error handling is needed so "error in" may be enough

localVariables.png

altenbach

"Defer Panel Updates" within sequence frame so configured

by Knight of NI ‎10-23-2010 02:38 PM - edited ‎10-23-2010 02:42 PM

(not really related to this idea)

Deferring panel updates is a tedious procedure, requiring a panel reference (not intuitive to get!) and a couple of property nodes. However, deferring panel updates is sometimes very important. For example when coloring the fields of a large table according to their values, a serious performance impact is encountered unless we defer panel updates. There are many other situations where panel updates should be suspended temporarily, especially if property nodes are used in a tight loop.

My suggestions is to make flat sequences a little bit more useful by adding a new function to the right-click menu of each frame: "Defer Panel Updates". Now a new connector will appear on the frame that accepts a panel reference. If left unwired, this applies to the panel of the current VI, but we can wire a reference to any panel we desire (useful for subVIs). There should be a visual indication indicating that updates are deferred, e.g. a slightly different background pattern (e.g. faint checkerboard or similar). Note that this idea does not clutter the palettes with a new structure, but simply extends the functionality of existing elements. Let's put those sequences to some good use!

During execution of such a frame, the panel updates are deferred and automatically enabled again once the frame ends. The configuration should be "per frame" of a multi-frame flat sequence.

This has many advantages over the current situation:

• It is immediately clear what part of the code executes during the deferral
  • The deferral is clearly delimited and it is not possible to accidentally forget to re-enable the updates
As an example, here is my subVI code to color the fields of a large correlation matrix (located on the main VI) according the respective value so we can easily pick out where correlations between fitting parameters are a problem.
TOP: current solution. BOTTOM: how it could look like with this idea implemented.

GregFreeman

Coercion dot color change if terminal is pink!

by Trusted Enthusiast ‎10-22-2010 02:11 PM - edited ‎11-02-2010 09:13 AM

There is a coercion dot here. Anyone see it?!?! Can the color please be changed to something else if the terminal is pink? Especially if it's wired into a bundle.

smmarlow

Color Comment Text Inside Formula Nodes

by Member smmarlow on ‎10-22-2010 01:07 PM

Searched and didn't find this.  I know you can format the text manually.  Comments should be colorized automatically.

formual node.png

0 Kudos
Spectre_Dave

Offset Shift Registers

by Active Participant Spectre_Dave on ‎10-22-2010 09:04 AM

I do a fair amount of Pipelining and it would be cool if I could Offset the Input Shift Register from the Output Shift Register.

The default would be to keep them aligned but a right - click would give me the option to offset the input or output Terminal. I think it would be bad form to allow crossing the terminals between multiple Shift Registers so the top Input terminal would correspond to the top Output terminal.Offset Shift registers.JPG

K C

'\' Codes Display

by Active Participant K C on ‎10-22-2010 08:29 AM

To check a string for (white) spaces we can use the ‘\’ Codes Display mode for string Control/Indicator/Constant.

With small pieces of text, it is easy to find your way through the text. However, when the piece of text gets larger it is difficult to navigate through the text.

It would be easier if a ‘\n’ and a ‘\r’ character performs an actual <new line> besides displaying a \ code.

It should be an option or an extra mode. I called it ‘\+’ mode.

String Display.jpg

TSatCTC

Number to Decimal String

by Member TSatCTC on ‎10-22-2010 07:49 AM

The name of this VI is a little misleading because the number is rounded to an integer before it is converted to a string.  I think a name like 'Number to Integer String,' or 'Integer Number to String' would be more appropriate.  I guess the 'Decimal' is just meant to indicate the fact that it is expecting a base 10 number, but I associate decimal with the data types double and float.  For those who wish to convert a double/float number to a string (without rounding to an integer first) the 'Number to Fractional String' is the correct VI.

Neil.Pate

Add Free Label to already running VI

by Active Participant Neil.Pate on ‎10-22-2010 03:00 AM

Very often during debugging, you have probes placed all over the block diagram checking wire contents. It would be really convenient if during Run Time we could place more Free Labels, as this would allow a developer to place comments during debugging/running, otherwise you have to stop the VI and then try and remember all the comments (assuming you have not written them down).

Note: I do not know of any other languages that allow you to do this, as you are essentially changing the source on the fly, so I don't think this is a trivial change! (But LabVIEW is better than other languages anyway :smileytongue:)

Tawakal

Multiple VI comparison

by Member Tawakal on ‎10-22-2010 12:01 AM

Is there any tool to compare Multiple VIs (more than two i.e. about twenty) at a same time.How can I compare more than two VIs at the same time. I am an Lab Engineer I have to check assignments submitted by students and I want to know how many of them are copied from each other. Labview compare VI can only compare two VI at a time while I want to check about 30 VIs at same time.

The connectors hi(x) & lo(x) on the primitives for "Split Number" & "Join Numbers" do not line up with multi-connector primitives (Index Array, Build Array, Format, Format into String, Scan from String, etc). See below:

Idea Exchange - JoinSplit Number Alignment.jpg

When you're running an executable and it freezes, especially in development mode, you have to shut down the entire LabVIEW environment.  It would be nice if there was a way to stop just the executing VI.

GregS

Naming Slide/Meter/Gauge control clusters

by Active Participant GregS on ‎10-20-2010 08:21 PM

It would be useful to be able to name (either automatically or manually) the sliders of a Slide control (or needles of a Meter or Gauge).  The use-case I have is for saving a configuration file (currently requiring typecast to/from a cluster with names), but it may also be useful to be able to Unbundle By Name.  I found this post in the LabVIEW forums showing this idea has been talked about in the past also.  Here's an image from that post:

A related idea would be the ability to replace the control with a Cluster control, and vice-versa.  Currently, this requires creating a typedef and manually recreating the cluster.

Pie56694

Add Locking/Password to Options on a Virtual Folder in a Library

by Active Participant Pie56694 ‎10-20-2010 12:53 PM - edited ‎10-21-2010 10:12 AM

Similar to specifying the Access Scope for multiple VIs in a library by grouping them in a Virtual Folder and setting the Access Scope of the folder, I'd like to specify locking or password protection for multiple VIs in a LabVIEW library by enabling that on the owning Virtual Folder. The dialog would be the same as if you were setting the Protection on the entire library from the Properties menu. 

Jervin Justin

Generate Barcodes in LabVIEW

by Active Participant Jervin Justin ‎10-19-2010 01:32 PM - edited ‎10-21-2010 03:52 PM

The IMAQ VIs are great for recognizing barcodes that are scanned.

On the flip side, there's not a really portable way to generate a barcode in LabVIEW (without having to install a barcode font). The nicest approach would be to have a custom control that has string datatype, and then on the front panel, the string gets displayed as a barcode!

Other approaches could involve using a picture control or something as well.

Barcode.png

shb

Easier select controls and labels in a menu

by Active Participant shb ‎10-19-2010 10:01 AM - edited ‎10-19-2010 10:02 AM

I ask for a general rework for selecting controls and indicators in a menu.

There are several locations where you select a front panel element. And it is done in several ways.

• for local variables, the elements are sorted alphabetically by name
  • references are in a tree with containers as nodes, children are sorted alphabetically
  • it is the same tree when linking a property or invoke node
  • in event structures, the controls are ordered by the adding order
  • ... are the more places where you select controls?

What I dislike is ordered by adding order. The other two depend on the front panel (and on my brain). I would like to choose the sorting and maybe some filtering myself. I do not know how it could look but some ideas will probably come from the community.

An idea for local variables is here. (I tagged it with ControlsMenu too.)

Build Array Ordering.png

Appending to the end of an array is much more efficient than prepending to the beginning
If you need to insert items at the beginning, insert at the end instead and use a single Reverse Array when finished

Insert items.png

How about make a new array function that can insert items at the beginning efficiently?

0 Kudos
MattH

True, full, on-demand garbage collection

by Active Participant MattH on ‎10-18-2010 06:51 PM

I've recently run into an issue when using external code (ActiveX to be exact) where I needed to explicitly call garbage collection in a similar fashion to how it's done in C# (C Sharp).

The "Request Deallocation" function isn't true garbage collection.

A C# example would be:

someComObject = null;

GC.Collect();

There are situations where it is neccessary to explicitly call garbage collection.

SuperS_5

LVMerge Configurable Load Options

by Member SuperS_5 on ‎10-18-2010 10:52 AM

Hi,

My team has been working with LVMerge.exe for a while.  I wish to disable "auto-resolve" as a default, instead of unchecking it after loading.  Disabling block diagram cosmetic changes would also be nice.  Some method to modify these settings, so that on the next VI load, the modified settings would be used instead.  My original post is here

Mike

ErnieH

Version independent source code saves

by Active Participant ErnieH on ‎10-18-2010 08:54 AM

Give the user the ability to save the LabVIEW source files as un-completed, version independent files capable of being imported to any version of LabVIEW. Of course, newer features won't be recognized, but the vast majority of the code should be useable.

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Idea Statuses