NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea

Single Precision Measures of Mean.vi

by Member Mark_Holm on ‎09-01-2009 02:45 PM
Measures of Mean.vi only takes double precision float as input. When I use single precision to save space, and where A/D resolution is the limiting factor anyhow, it is pretty annoying to have to promote a whole array of data to double just to get the median (or another of the functions in Measures of Mean). Can't this thing be recompiled to be able to do both double and single?

LabVIEW 64bit french version

by Active Participant Mathieu_T on ‎09-21-2011 04:54 AM

A lot of customers are asking why a french version of LabVIEW 2011 64bit is not available. Is this idea take part of the future roadmap ?

Constructor Node Help showing version

by Member FixedWire on ‎01-07-2013 07:22 PM

When using dll's or .Net assemblies, you always have to right click & hunt down which version gets used for the constructor.

It'd be handy to have the version shown in the Help. I already know it's a constructor node, that's not much help...

Launch Controls in Block Diagram directly

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎04-30-2012 07:03 AM

While creating a sub vi mostly I don't bother about how the front panel looks and also while coding its easy to take the constants from the function palette. What we will do if we need a control in the block diagram.

Method 1: Select a constant and then convert that into a control

Method 2: Go to the front panel and place the control that is required.

Instead of doing these things it would be best to be able to place a Control in the Block diagram (Even the error clusters). This may be implemented by

Right click mouse to launch Function palette --> Place the mouse pointer over the contant --> Press CTRL and Drag the constant to the Block Diagram. Control is created. I was having this in mind for a long time but not able to post. I am not sure whether it has been already posted.

Place control.png

Idea Subject really describes it.

Property nodes should allow arrays of references on the input so that the same property (i.e. disabled) can be applied to multiple controls without needing a for loop.

Errors could be handled much the same way as compound property nodes are now, ie with the option to ignore errors within the node. I imagine most errors would occur during development time anyway.

In the 'Source File Settings' category of the 'Build Specifications' dialog one has the option of customizing the destinations of the elements of the build. One very handy feature here is that it is possible to set the destination for all elements contained in a folder (virtual or auto-populating).

In the project tree Libraries, Classes and Xcontrols act like folders in that they have a parent item containing child items. Unfortunately the 'Set destination for all contained items' feature is not implemented for these parent items.

A work-around is to put the class/library/xcontrol in a folder and then set the destination for the folder but that makes the project look very messy.

Here are some pictures:

Folder (current)

Folder.PNG

Class/Library/XControl (current)

Class.PNG

Class/Library/XControl (proposed)

ClassProposed.png

I love the new quickdrop plugins!  I've written a few that I use all the time.  (Reset front panel to origin, emergency abort vis, etc.)  The only thing I don't like is the requirement to name the plugin the same as the letter that will activate it.  Since my 'q' plugin and 'shft-q' plugin have to reside in the same vi, it is a bit harder to share plugins with others.

I would like to have the ability to give the plugins a descriptive name and have a configuration utility where I can assign hotkey combinations to each of my plugins.

Available in NI LabVIEW 2010

Hi,

In "Image Displays", Images are locked in the center position when the area is bigger than the image. Could we have more control onver their position ?

This feature would be useful for those who need to show images with different sizes in the same "Image Display" (not simultaneously).

I guess a new ImaqImage property like "center position" or "top left corner position" or "alignment" would be enough ?

Thanks

Ghislain

ExpleNI-1.PNG -> ExpleNI-2.PNG

In short: please show scrollbars on palettes in edit mode, allow us to resize the window - and autoarrange the items to fit in the new window frame - AND make it possible to select multiple items and drag & drop them to new locations on the palette.

My user palette in particular has a tendency to grow very large and untidy. In normal use you get scrollbars that allow you to navigate through large palettes, however if you want to arrange the items in a palette and go into edit mode you end up with a palette that spans several screens - with no option to resize it or scroll through it. Instead you have to move one item at a time, empty a row, delete it...and move you way meticously through it. There is no drag and drop support (well, unless you count the option you have if you select move from the contextual menu first, one item at a time), auto-arrange, or window scaling options.

Sure, you do not need to do this very often (although I often tend to repeat it after upgrading LV, which now means once a year...) - but that does not mean it should be allowed such a crippled user interface.

palette edit.png

A summary of the issues is shown on the picture above.

wire jumping across case structure

by Member JimboH on ‎08-14-2009 11:11 PM

The idea is to be able to replace wires running across a case structure with terminals that take the connection on the left side and connect it to the right side.  I would think the left side should allow a through wire for reading variables, but the right side should not, as then the jumping structure wouldn't really be needed.  This is something that would be specific then to that case or entry in the structure, and not the structure itself.

JumpAcross.png 

Have row AND column when double click

by Active Participant EricC. on ‎02-17-2011 02:00 AM - last edited on ‎02-17-2011 12:45 PM by Active Participant Laura F.

On a 2D list, when you double click, you have only the line of double click.

The column number is very useful :

Beef up Find and Replace Dialog

by Member swatts on ‎10-31-2013 06:17 AM

I use this dialog a lot and would like the following improvements please....

Split Found In data into Found In and Type

Make these columns sortable.

SearchResultsNew.png

This would allow me to quickly filter out innapplicable results, while we're at it can I have a search within results options too.

Kudos the hell out of this one please.

Many Thanks and Much Love

Steve Watts

When you have a lot of cases (or events) in your case (or event) structure it can be tedious to go back and forth between them (yes, Ctrl + Mouse wheel works great but can be hit and miss to get to the right one that is many cases away).  Often times I am in one case, I need to grab/do/look at something in another case and then return to the case I am working on.  It would be nice to have a Back and Forward button (similar to a web browser) so after I can quickly jump back to where I was.  The only way to do it now is to click on the case titles, scroll up/down (which can be very tedious if you have enough cases that it goes off-screen) to switch between.

The new icon editor is much better than the old one, however it would be a nice improvement if the user could restrict the number of fonts that are shown in the dropdown list for the text selection.

Realisticly most developers use what, maybe 2 different fonts when designing icons? Why not allow the developer to choose the fonts they want in the list instead of listing every font installed on the system.

Seriously, has anybody ever used "Script" for their icons?

I'd really like the blackened left-upper corner that you see on control icons to also be present on refnums if they point to a control that is a typedef...

This has the additional benefit (besides just being helpful) of letting you know if you accidentally diconnected the typedef and the refnum is no longer typedef-constrained...

Basically this would take effect when you drop a typedef'd control on the refnum...

ScreenHunter_03 Apr. 24 08.46.jpg

wires behind structures

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎10-30-2013 04:57 AM - last edited on ‎10-31-2013 01:03 PM by Member Matt_McLaughlin

allow both behaviors,  drop  and  CTRL-drop    (CTRL , for example)

SR1.png

Create empty directory with installer

by Member Briton on ‎10-30-2013 03:33 AM

Hi

It would be nice if it was possible to create a empty folder with the installer.

I have an application to handle some files that are generated by other applications. Therefore I require that there is some specific folders which these programs can place their files in.
I know I can create them by placing a dummy file in the created folders, but I think it is a mess with non relevant files.

Regards Bjarne

Show object’s private data on front panel

by Member mike-o-tronic ‎10-29-2013 06:46 PM - edited ‎10-29-2013 06:49 PM

Since the Actor Framework came up, I'm getting more and more into object oriented programming with LabVIEW. But I'm missing one of the biggest strengths of LabVIEW with it:

The ease of bounding your source code with a graphical user interface.

When you create a front panel object from a class object you can neither display nor control data. You can just display the object icon. So this is basically the flipside of the “Cluster as Icon on Front Panel” request. Instead of an icon I want to have my object’s private data in my front panel. So a right click -> show private data would be nice:

Class Object - Show private data

This would become handy not only for creating user interfaces but also for debugging, since the probe is often difficult to overview when you are dealing with data strucutres like arrays, clusters and objects.

Right now the workaround is to create a cluster type def and put the cluster into the private data. But this is unhandy. Instead switching back and forth between icon and data, you have to bundle/unbundle and create control/indicator. You have the additional file in your class. And you have the "additional bundle/unbundle mouse maneuver" if you want to access single elements.

So I was looking at the idea submitted "Remove Common Error Functional​ity From Set/Unset Busy Cursor" and I came up with a more useful, and more generic way of dealing with that problem, and the problem of 'anchoring' code for flow-of-control in general.

I too use flat sequence structures to force flow-of-control, and there should be a better way. There is.

Suppose we simply add 'ignore error' functionality to the error-in/error-out terminals? In that manner you could create a vi just the way that you do now, with error in/out, but by right-clicking on error-in and selecting 'ignore error' the following would happen:

1. The VI would ignore a pre-existing error. It would run as if no error was present on error-in.

2. The error-in terminal would change color (or shape, or size, or relgion) so that it was visually obvious that the 'ignore error' functionality was enabled.

3. The error code passed to the VI, although ignored within the VI, would still be passed thru to error-out.

4. If the VI that was called with 'ignore error' generated an error, that error would still be added to the error codes output.

This hasTWO major benefits: (1) it provides a super simple way to create VI's that need to execute in order but don't need/want error functionality, without requiring the user to add unnecessary objects (like flat sequences) or write special code to use it; and (2) it allows you to write routines that should run regardless of whether an error is present or not, but still allows them to post an (additional) error if they need to.

In existing "File Dialog" Express VI- configuration Dialog we can specify what we want to select(File/Folder), wheather its new or existing File etc.

However for specifying File Pattern, Pattern Lable, Dialog name etc. we must connect constants from outside. it takes lot of space.

it would be great if those options can be configured from pop up.

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
Idea Statuses