NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea

When you hover over a wire it shows the context help the wire. If you hover over a tunnel for the wire with the wiring tool it only shows the structure in context help instead of wire contexts help. 

Can this be updated to show the wires context?

S.Kakibe

Burst Random Signal Generator in S&V toolkit

by Active Participant S.Kakibe on ‎06-14-2012 09:04 AM

Hello,

Burst random signal is commonly used for vibration test with shaker. LabVIEW has some random signal generator in original functions, time series analysis toolkit, but not burst random signal. If LabVEIW does not feature burst random signal, it is difficult to suggest shaker vibration testing with LabVIEW.

Now we have to compete with other NVH vendors such as LMS, B&K, however lacking of basic functions might be kind of obstacle for DSA business. Even Ono Sokki and A&D who are automotive testing supplier in Japan can offer it, NI should do to meet customer's expectations.

Saku Kakibe

BruceAmmons

Inline VI with polymorphic inputs/outputs

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎03-15-2011 06:39 PM

We already have inline VIs that are compiled directly into the code, just as if you had wired the code on your diagram.  Imagine if we could designate some of the inputs and outputs as polymorphic.  We could create VIs that do simple math operations, comparisons and other stuff without having to create a dozen versions for the different inputs and outputs possible.

I think the outputs would have to be either a fixed type or same as a selected input.  Some inputs, such as strings, wouldn't work in many cases.  If the input wired to the inline VI was not compatible, it would just fail to compile and give you a broken wire, just as if you had wired the same code into your diagram.  It really would just be a block of code that could easily be added to a diagram as a VI, but it would be recompiled based on the inputs.

Bruce

SalacSaki

Show all Controls and Indicators

by Member SalacSaki on ‎06-13-2012 03:06 AM

If a larger number of controls and indicators are shown or hidden programmatically, and then if you want to change the front panel look, you need to click Show Control (Indicator) on each of them. Of course, for larger number of controls and indicators it is possible to miss some. My suggestion is to add the option: Show All Controls and Indicators.

pachook

Allowing proxy settings for LV

by Member pachook on ‎08-27-2010 03:25 AM

At my current work place we use proxy servers as an internet connection. With LabVIEW it makes it difficult not only while the NI software is being installed (to check for updates, connect with server for veryfication etc) but also during typical work it makes troubles with finding examples and drivers from a development enviroment.

I would suggest adding some advenced internet connection options for proxy settings etc.

Another little thing with a company computers is that, even when installing NI software on a D drive it still installs some example software on C:. It makes problem when your IT limited your C drive for absolute minimum, because with huge amount of NI software the amound of "additional" data is getting bigger and bigger.

Regards,

PacHOOk

LabVIEW opens the file in the version of LabVIEW that was most recently opened instead of the version the file was saved in.  Add a header to the file to allow LabVIEW to open the file in the correct version.  This will save a lot of time and lower frustration of accidently saving a file in the newer version.

FallGuy

Case Statement slider

by Member FallGuy on ‎10-13-2011 09:52 AM

Add slider, scroll bar, search to case diagrams.  Move slider to selection vs starting at top of list. This helps when we have a large case statement. See attached jpg file

euko

Add event to "event structure" directly from FP

by Member euko on ‎10-10-2011 02:08 PM

If I have many objects on the FP and I want to add event to "event structure", it takes time to found and select object from “Event Sources” list. It will be nice to add new event directly from FP by right clicking on the object. This option will be available if event structure exists on BD

There are times that I wanted to use a numeric constant or control as a string data type. In order to use a different data type, I would manually copy and paste the control/constant values to another data type. Moreover, if the control or constant is an array of values, it's tiring to do a manual copy of the values. Creating a vi that would convert the data type would also take time. As a suggestion, I hope LabVIEW can include in their "right-click" property box a method of converting the Path to String, String to Path, String to Numeric and Numeric to String.

I don't know if this is a big thing or not. Just a piece of thought.

21840iAA17F180F8660DF4

These two would help to sort out VIs when you want to make llb plugins, to determine who goes where.

I'd like to right click on an item in the project explorer, and have two more options "Open private callees" and "Open public callees.

By "private callees" I mean: the callees that the selected VI is the only one to call in the whole project.

By "public callees" I mean: the callees of the selected VI that are called by at least one other VI in the project.

(I mean directly called and not dynamically of course, the developper would have of way to distinguish his VIs that are called dynymically).

Again, I've done it for personal purposes, here's the snippet in 8.6 for those who might like it.

Find Private and Public Callees of Project Item_BD.png

How many times have YOU right-clicked on an output of a function to select Create... --> Indicator, or on a function input to select Create --> Control?  I find myself doing that operation over-and-over-and-over-again. Wouldn't it be handy if the first choice of the drop down was Create Indicator (or Create Control for the inputs), i.e. above "Visible items >"?

Create Indicator drop down.jpg

Jorge_C

2D Picture::Take away the frame

by Active Participant Jorge_C on ‎06-05-2012 08:20 AM

Hi!

Whenever you are looking for a Mouse Move, Enter or Leave event over a 2D Picture indicator, it takes into account the frame and returns negative values.

It is easy to control that, but I think it will be a good idea to give the user the option to choose if the event has to be fired whenever you enter the actual indicator (without the frame). Another option would be to take the frame away of the indicator.

What do you think?

Thanks!

PS: I attach a VI.

ErnieH

Multiple Windows

by Active Participant ErnieH on ‎06-05-2012 07:46 AM

I would like to have multiple windows for the same VI available for LabVIEW. One example of this is in onenote. If you hit 'control M', another window pop's up and you can edit, drag and drop, etc, both tied to the core file. This would be useful for debugging, coping code to a different case, etc.

Hi,

In "Image Displays", Images are locked in the center position when the area is bigger than the image. Could we have more control onver their position ?

This feature would be useful for those who need to show images with different sizes in the same "Image Display" (not simultaneously).

I guess a new ImaqImage property like "center position" or "top left corner position" or "alignment" would be enough ?

Thanks

Ghislain

ExpleNI-1.PNG -> ExpleNI-2.PNG

Chris.Osiecki

Incompatible Runtime warning

by Member Chris.Osiecki on ‎08-08-2009 12:41 PM
I spent some time the other day troubleshooting a problem and couldn't for the life of me figure out why my program wasn't working. By chance, the guy who'd installed the runtime engine on the computer I was installing to had left the executable on the desktop. He had used the minimum install that's normally for remote front panels. It would be great if there was a warning when you tried to run a program that needs the full run-time install but only the minimum was installed. Most of the program worked (a suprising amount actually), but it was only certain features that didn't. The features that didn't work (like TDMS logging) wouldn't throw an error either, even with debugging enabled. If there had been a pop-up warning that the program wouldn't work completely with the current run-time engine, I would have saved a couple of hours of combined time between me and the other engineers trying to run a test.

When you have something to print you can develop a VI with the option : 'print after execution'
With complex information, you can have a printable VI for graphical data, a VI for array data, ...
When you print all data you have a lot of paper.
But when your printer is a PDF printer, you have a lot of file with 1 page and not 1 file with a lot of page !

I suggest to have a way to create a print task, add a VI to print (with a option like 'add to print task after execution') and to have a command for run the print.

Advanced option :
A option to create more a print task.

So you can prepare the print task and juste run it on a event (and no loose time to build or re build the data if the same event comes again).

Regard's

EricC

Currently when a search is made in the "find examples" window of LabVIEW it is not possible to find its folder path in the browse tab.

I would like to suggest the ability to right-click the search result and to have an option to find that search result in the browse tab.

This would be extremely useful when locating an example and then posting online the location in the example browser.

Here is an example of what it would look like:

exampleclick.png

Regards,

Laurence C

Applications Engineer

National Instruments UK

Possible scenarios:

A) You right-click in your project and instead of adding a new target e.g...you can add a data source. This data source could be a web service, an XML file (eithe local or at a http address...), an ODBC database, a modbus TCP/IP register etc. etc. You can now access the data from this by dragging the source icon in the projects list onto your block diagram. This would give you a reference and polymorph accessor VIs.

B) You drop a data source express VI onto the diagram and it pops up with a dialog that allows you to select the type of source.

C) Perhaps we could even integrate this even more; if I right click on a table e.g. I can choose to link it to a data source - and have a wide variety of sources to choose from. Yes, we already have the shared variable or data socket based data binding option, but we should be able to bind it to lots of different, open and industry standard sources.

Mads

Joju

coordinates position display of controls

by Member Joju on ‎09-27-2011 09:24 AM

when you place some control in the front panel, You don't have any idea of his position, You don't have posibility to control de exact position of this control, and You can't edit this position, only you have a small tip strip display when you move this control.You cant change the position of a control wiht the properties nodes in execution time, but this is not enough.
solution:
place a display in the front panel, to display the absolute position of a control, and his size, and when it is selected, to able to put his position, in additional way in the properties of control, having the posibility to do the same operation.

Jokelnice

LabVIEW Idea Exchange in other languages

by Active Participant Jokelnice on ‎03-19-2013 12:26 AM

Being in line with the expansion of LabVIEW and its products worldwide where ever we have more users, it is necessary to enable a space dedicated to present ideas for other supported languages.

labview idea.png

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Idea Statuses