NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea
Till

Access all data calculated by 3D Surface Plot

by Member Till on ‎01-26-2012 09:40 AM

Using the 3D Surface Plot in LV2011 it is possible to switch on or off either "Surface", Mesh" or "Normal".

Being in the need of the surface normal angle for some calculation I was told that this data is not accessible through property nodes.

I would really prefer accessing this data instead of calculating it twice!!!

And by the way: Displaying large data arrays in 3D Plots takes computing power running on one core only. Wouldn't it be possible to have a parallelizing option here...

xdaf

Conditional increase / conditional terminal

by Active Participant xdaf on ‎05-28-2010 10:31 AM

I often need to count how many times a condition is verified inside a loop. The simplest way to do so is:

conditional increase true.jpg    conditional increase false.jpg

What about this?

conditional increase.jpg

The "conditional terminal" should be enabled by right clicking on the operator, and may apply to every VI with 1-1 I/O pattern.

Of course it performs the operation in case of "TRUE", and leaves its input value unchanged in case of "FALSE"

Ashish.Uttarwar

Updating the string constants

by Member Ashish.Uttarwar on ‎01-25-2012 07:09 AM

It will be really cool, and handy, if the string constant automagically switches to appropriate predefined String Constants from the functions palette.

Example: Space Constant, Carriage Return Constant, Line Feed Constant, End of Line Constant, Tab Constant. http://screencast.com/t/GdydME7v

On the other hand, it will be very convenient if clicking inside those string constants switches to regular string constant and allows you to enter the text in it.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have tried to extract elements with a fixed interval from a 1D array and got frustrated because

my function ends up looking like the image below taking up a big chunk of my block diagram.

decimate.png

Say you want to decimate the array into 20 segments and extract every third element like the image above. It would be nice if there was a function that allowed the user to input the number of segments into which the array should be decimated, as well as an array with the elements to be extracted. 

In the image below, the "Main array" is decimated into 4 segments, where every 1st and 3rd elements are extracted and outputted.

decimate.png

I know this can be accomplished by using a reshape array function, making a 2D-Array and then pick a column but it would be nice to have this all in one function.

Message Edited by Laura F. on 12-01-2009 08:57 AM
krisys

Extending Data Operations..

by Member krisys on ‎11-30-2010 01:16 PM

While debugging, we often feel the necessity to save data from different constants/controls/indicators for future use. At present, we copy them to a new VI, give it a label and use them whenever required. Wouldn't it be great if LabVIEW handled most of that? Also, this could be extended to Wires: "Save data in wire to Datastore"

DataStore.jpg

Inclusion of this feature will reduce a number of mouse clicks and window switches while debugging.

SteveP

Property node for index of array's cursor location

by Active Participant SteveP on ‎06-12-2009 12:08 PM

A property node that provides the index(s) of the cursor location in an array would let us know on which element of an array a user had clicked.  That can be usefule for example to provide additional information replated to specific array value, such as using the array as a list of peaks on a graph.  Currently, the mouse down event provides Cord values but those are as pixels.  Similar information for tables would be useful.

hfettig

Default Representation for Enum should be U8

by Member hfettig on ‎06-09-2009 05:13 PM
In the spirit of using as little memory as possible I think the default representation for Enums should be U8. Currently when you create a new Enum its representation is set to U16. Since I assume most people rarely have Enums with more than 256 items I would really appreciate it if the default representation were U8 so I don't have to always change it from U16 to U8.
It'd be great to be able to use the "Set current values to default" invoke method while the program is running to grab the current values that a program has.  As it is now, you have to stop your program and open another program that references the first program to set the values to default.  This almost completely defeats the purpose of setting those values programmatically (I might as well go to the File menu).  I'd like to effectively "grab" front panel values and keep them for the next time the program runs.  I know I could do this with file writing- but it'd be nice to use the invoke node as it seems it should be used. 

Would it be possible to introduce some or all of the following features?

1. a 'step' border node on for-loops, associated with [i], to specify the step value so that [i] can be incremented (or decremented(?), which would necessitate an initializer for [i]) by the required amount
  2. one might also want the step value to vary, as a function of something, of [i] perhaps
  3. a pair of 'low' and 'high' border nodes, to specify an interval instead of specifying N

Feel free to dream up as good a UI as you want for this :smileyhappy:.

cyro

Pinable decorations

by Member cyro on ‎01-20-2012 12:23 PM

The decorations in LV on the BD are nice to comment and to point out specific relations. I miss the feature to pin them on other decorations, labels or comments.

cyro

Invoke node for objects

by Member cyro on ‎01-20-2012 11:58 AM

Please add invoke nodes for objects so I can use them for methods like property nodes together with DVR. Didn't found this topic, maybe it's duplicate....

mattjsimps

find all instances should work on primative VIs

by Member mattjsimps on ‎06-14-2011 02:59 AM

Quite often, I will see an error message in my log files relating to a built-in, primative VI - for instance TDMS write.

It can be difficult to locate the particular instance of the error if you have many calls to the the same VI on the same diagram.

For normal sub-vis, we can right click and do show all instances. But not for primatives.

This is sub-optimal.

I suggest the current find all instances be extended to support primative VIs 

LBekel

Delete Clear Column from Tree Control

by Member LBekel on ‎07-12-2013 08:20 AM

Hallo,

in LabView 2012 it is not possible to remove a once created column in a Tree Control.

As you see in the Picture all Tags were removed, but the Horizontal Scrollbar is still available. I think this is a bug.

Also it would be nice to have a "Delete Clear Column" Function in the right click menu and of course a property-node.

Best Regards

LBekel

Untitled.png

It would be useful if we can access the plot color and point color separately on the plot legend itself as we do in the properties dialog box of the graph instead changing it by toggling the space bar

graph plot legend.jpg.

Ale914

Block Diagram zoom

by Member Ale914 on ‎06-03-2009 03:00 AM

In the latest years the monitors and the graphics card became more and more advanced supporting very high pixel resolution.

Using a 1600x1200 is common now but this could create problem whit labview due to the absence of a zoom function.

The VI connector at that resolution are too little and near so could be difficult to work with and more in general all the block diagram of a VI could be diffucult to edit.

So i suggest to implement a zoom in\out (maybe using the mause wheel) function also in labview like in a common CAD sw

Assume you display more data in an Intensity Graph than supported by the display. Say showing an array of 10000x10000 points on a standard HD display.

Then LabVIEW selects what level to show for each displayed pixel.

And it selects the highest level of all points mapped to a display pixel.

It would be nice to have display options here as a property :

Show maximum ( as now ).

Show average.

Show minimum.

Example : If the scale is 0..100 shown as black..white and the data values are random values of 0 or 100 then the Intensity Graph today will be entirely white. With the suggested display option you could select to show it as either white, gray or black. This is convenient if you look for deviating values in a data set. Today you only see the deviating values that went "positive". With the proposed change you could also look for deviations going "negative". And more ,,

Hello,

For some days i had to create multiple CRio targets in my LabVIEW project, using the same Labview Code.

( I wanted to test my application on different CRio versions, in order to check CPU usage)

I first try to use the contextual menu to find out the available commands on targets, CRio backplane, and FPGA target.

=> I don't find any command to easily duplicate my target. :smileysad:

=> So, i had to create a new target, completly, step by step :smileyfrustrated:

(Create a new Crio target, a new backplane, a new FPGA target ... new FPGA FIFOs, new FPGA C series modules .... .)

Yesterday, i talk with our NI commercial about this problem, and he says ... you have only to copy and paste the items of your project.

=> This work fine ! :smileyhappy:

It should be nice to made the copy/paste command (and perhaps other commands) available in the project treeview context menu. :smileywink: 

All available commands on items should appear in the treeview context menu, in order to guide the LabVIEW users.

Thanks.

Manu.net

Hello,

It would be nice to add a new menu item in Labview IDE, which could close all executing VI's.

This could solve the problem of "running Modal VI's" which can "block" an execution.

This could also be helpfull to "clear" the execution context when you have bad closed "detached and assynchonous executing VI's".

The top, would be to get a report (a list of VI's in a window) of the forced closed VI's ... It would be helpfull for analysis.

Manu.net

shb

no warning in error list window for event case

by Active Participant shb on ‎09-20-2012 02:50 AM

In the error list window, when "Show Warings" is enabled, there are shown warnings for event structures. (More precise for event data nodes in the event structure.) This is wrong because the programmer is not responsible for this duplicate names. And probably there are no duplicate names anyway.

This code (snippet, paste it in a VI for testing):

Test Show Warnings in LV.png

Generates this warning:

Error List - Warning on Event Data Node.png

This warning is there at least since LV 8.6 and is still present in LV12.

Often, when I open a code that calls libraries that are not installed, I get prompted dozens of times to "Please find the VI named ..."

. clip_image002.jpg

It would really be nice to be able to prevent or minimize this.

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Idea Statuses