NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea
It'd be great to be able to use the "Set current values to default" invoke method while the program is running to grab the current values that a program has.  As it is now, you have to stop your program and open another program that references the first program to set the values to default.  This almost completely defeats the purpose of setting those values programmatically (I might as well go to the File menu).  I'd like to effectively "grab" front panel values and keep them for the next time the program runs.  I know I could do this with file writing- but it'd be nice to use the invoke node as it seems it should be used. 
hfettig

Default Representation for Enum should be U8

by Member hfettig on ‎06-09-2009 05:13 PM
In the spirit of using as little memory as possible I think the default representation for Enums should be U8. Currently when you create a new Enum its representation is set to U16. Since I assume most people rarely have Enums with more than 256 items I would really appreciate it if the default representation were U8 so I don't have to always change it from U16 to U8.
Gerwim_G

Multiple file/folder memory

by Member Gerwim_G on ‎09-03-2012 07:50 AM

LabVIEW remembers the folder from which it retrieved a VI or project or whatever in a buffer.

If a VI has been running (using file-IO) the folder buffer is set to the folder from which the last file was retrieved or written to.

If you want to open a new VI or whatever, the browser opens in the most recently opened folder.

It would be nice to remember the VI-folder and data folder separately. This means two buffers in stead of one.

Ale914

Block Diagram zoom

by Member Ale914 on ‎06-03-2009 03:00 AM

In the latest years the monitors and the graphics card became more and more advanced supporting very high pixel resolution.

Using a 1600x1200 is common now but this could create problem whit labview due to the absence of a zoom function.

The VI connector at that resolution are too little and near so could be difficult to work with and more in general all the block diagram of a VI could be diffucult to edit.

So i suggest to implement a zoom in\out (maybe using the mause wheel) function also in labview like in a common CAD sw

I would like to have some kind of compiler optimalisation options.

The save time is often to long, Editing is annoying

Editing in LV2010 often halts for 10-20 seconds because it it recompiling the code for some reason.

If we had some option to turn off "advanced optimalisation" things might go fluently, like in the old days.

Chris V

Multiple Instances of an Executable

by Member Chris V on ‎05-27-2011 01:37 PM

LabVIEW does currently allow you to run mutliple instances of your LabVIEW executable, but it requires editing the *.ini file:

Run Multiple Instances of a LabVIEW Executable Simultaneously 

Is there any reason this shouldn't be an option/checkbox in the Build Specifications?

Chris V

When replacing a normal Add (of a Timestamp and a value) with the compound arithmetic, the Timestamp input gets broken, this should not be the case.

Hello,

When you want to use an array of simple types or clusters ... the uninitialized array elements are viewed as shadow elements.

It should be nice to have the ability to modify this behavior thru the array configuration.

• Show unitialized elements as shadow : Is the default behaviour of control arrays
  • Dont't show unitialized elements : Should be the default behaviour of indicator arrays. The shadow elements have no real utility
  • Show only one uninitialized element as shadow, at the end of the array : Would be nice in case of a control array : A new element can be added at the end of the array. The other insertions are made using the array context menu.

Manu.

dj3

Automate Installer Library Selection

by Member dj3 on ‎08-28-2012 01:56 AM

One of the frustrating (and mystifying) things about Labview is that it doesn't seem to know what libraries it needs to compile an installer. I have to try and guess what libraries I am accessing and if I don't realise that one of the sub vis I used has used a function from the Math Kernel Library then I have to recompile the whole thing and do another test install. Depending on the size of the project and the machines that you are using, this can take a considerable chunk of time (on my machine that can be half an hour or more). It also selects a set of "standard" libraries to install, many of which I'm not using but I must take a guess as to which I don't need. Again, I won't know if a sub vi is accessing one of them until I actually try installing it.
Wouldn't it be great if Labview could look at it's own vi hierarchy and automatically include the libraries it accesses when you do a build - or at least tell you what you need like most other languages do. (Is there any others that don't?)

My customer is using LabVIEW 2009 with SIT, MATLAB R2007B and he was able to transfer more than 97 elements of array data with his Simulink .mdl file with the following configuration:

- Configuration parameter of MATLAB model: solve complete time: inf, type: fixed step, solver: discrete, fixed step sample time: 0.01
- Default LabVIEW array reading rate defined by auto generated VI: 50ms >> changed to 5ms
- Executed in Windows local host

However, when the .mdl file is converted to DLL, it seems as though that an array size of over 97 cannot be transferred.

The issue seems to be able to be produced even with multiple arrays or multiple scalar controls so I believe it seems to be an issue of how much data it can handle and not a data type issue. As I mentioned previously, data is able to be passed up till a certain amount but after this "threshold", data does not seem to be passed and the default value of 0 is displayed on the indicator. (In an array, the specific array size is initialized but after the threshold, 0s are shown)

I was also able to reproduce the issue on my end with the attached files.

Dupe: Already in CAR 330623

Whenever I have a couple of VIs open I drag and arrange them around the screen (/screens) for better visibility. I think it would be great if there was a way to have LabVIEW open the VIs at a specified position on the screen and not necessarily the last open position. (This would be useful while development especially if one plans to share these VIs with others.)

Erik

Allow tabs inside cluster

by Member Erik on ‎08-20-2012 03:36 PM

I would like to be able to put a tab control inside a cluster so that we can have more items inside the cluster and organize which ones are visible at any time.

Marc Blumentritt

Project Based Environment

by Member Marc Blumentritt on ‎10-19-2009 05:07 AM

Hi,

there is an idea about making labview.ini and other user configs to the corresponding user folder .

I propose to go a step further and make the LabVIEW environment project based, which means that you can define a labview.ini file, VI templates (including standard VI, if you create a new VI), palettes, QuickDrop stuff, etc. inside a project.

E.g. templates are saved in a custom location and linked inside the project. If you do this and start the "New..." dialog, than all your templates inside the project are listed first (below project).

If you do not use this feature in your project, the default files are used (default meaning the way LabVIEW works now).

Regards,

Marc

Ljubo

Mixed Signal Graph and Cursor Events

by Member Ljubo on ‎10-19-2009 05:01 AM

It seems that Mixed Signal Graph does not know Cursor Events (Grab, Grab?, Move and Release). Is there any particular reason for this? If not please incorporate this idea in the next version of LabView.

TinoMK

Format Painter for front panel

by Member TinoMK on ‎10-20-2010 02:01 AM

I am quite ofthen feeling the need of using a format painter tool (like the one in MS Word) when editing and customizing Front panels.

Format Painter.jpg

Thank you,

When working with reentrant VIs, every time you double click an instance of a reentrant vi on the block diagram, the cloned instance is opened. This is fine during debugging but during development when you want to modify the actual code this requires that you open a clone, then CTRL+M to open the actual master vi. Much more frustrating if you have to dig several VIs deep through a highly reentrant hierarchy.

We have CTRL+RT Click to open the block diagram directly, how about something like ALT+RT Click to open the master VI instead of the clone.

Under normal development this is not such an issue but if you happen to be working with LV FPGA, just about everything is reentrant.

SuperS_5

LVMerge Configurable Load Options

by Member SuperS_5 on ‎10-18-2010 10:52 AM

Hi,

My team has been working with LVMerge.exe for a while.  I wish to disable "auto-resolve" as a default, instead of unchecking it after loading.  Disabling block diagram cosmetic changes would also be nice.  Some method to modify these settings, so that on the next VI load, the modified settings would be used instead.  My original post is here

Mike

longbow

Side scrolling

by Member longbow on ‎08-17-2012 10:06 AM

In the image editing tool Gimp, holding shift while scrolling scrolls to the side.

A similar feature would be awesome in LV.

chas

Cursors on Waveform Charts

by Member chas on ‎12-14-2011 10:35 AM

Please put cursors option on waveform charts.  They have a known history value, and should be able to review stored data in it's history.

New VI or Blank VI open with default Error In and Error Out controls, connected with connector pane.

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Idea Statuses