NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
New Idea
jyang72211

Linking memory

by Active Participant jyang72211 on ‎05-11-2012 09:45 AM

For example, you have 1000 vi, and they all contain the same subvi.  You change the name of the subvi.  When you open the 1000 vi, it will ask you for the subvi.  You would have to browse for the same subvi 1000 times.  It labview remember the location of the subvi after you fix the broken link once.  That would save a lot of time. 

When I right-click a Control or Indicator on the FP or BD, and select "Create / Local Variable" I always get a Writable Local Variable. This makes senser for an Indicator, but not a Control. It seems to me that if I create a Local Variable from a Control, it should default to being Readable, so I can wire it immedatley (rather than forcing me to "Change to Read" every time). Phil.

When you have something to print you can develop a VI with the option : 'print after execution'
With complex information, you can have a printable VI for graphical data, a VI for array data, ...
When you print all data you have a lot of paper.
But when your printer is a PDF printer, you have a lot of file with 1 page and not 1 file with a lot of page !

I suggest to have a way to create a print task, add a VI to print (with a option like 'add to print task after execution') and to have a command for run the print.

Advanced option :
A option to create more a print task.

So you can prepare the print task and juste run it on a event (and no loose time to build or re build the data if the same event comes again).

Regard's

EricC

Marc Blumentritt

Project Based Environment

by Member Marc Blumentritt on ‎10-19-2009 05:07 AM

Hi,

there is an idea about making labview.ini and other user configs to the corresponding user folder .

I propose to go a step further and make the LabVIEW environment project based, which means that you can define a labview.ini file, VI templates (including standard VI, if you create a new VI), palettes, QuickDrop stuff, etc. inside a project.

E.g. templates are saved in a custom location and linked inside the project. If you do this and start the "New..." dialog, than all your templates inside the project are listed first (below project).

If you do not use this feature in your project, the default files are used (default meaning the way LabVIEW works now).

Regards,

Marc

Ljubo

Mixed Signal Graph and Cursor Events

by Member Ljubo on ‎10-19-2009 05:01 AM

It seems that Mixed Signal Graph does not know Cursor Events (Grab, Grab?, Move and Release). Is there any particular reason for this? If not please incorporate this idea in the next version of LabView.

BruceAmmons

Inline VI with polymorphic inputs/outputs

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎03-15-2011 06:39 PM

We already have inline VIs that are compiled directly into the code, just as if you had wired the code on your diagram.  Imagine if we could designate some of the inputs and outputs as polymorphic.  We could create VIs that do simple math operations, comparisons and other stuff without having to create a dozen versions for the different inputs and outputs possible.

I think the outputs would have to be either a fixed type or same as a selected input.  Some inputs, such as strings, wouldn't work in many cases.  If the input wired to the inline VI was not compatible, it would just fail to compile and give you a broken wire, just as if you had wired the same code into your diagram.  It really would just be a block of code that could easily be added to a diagram as a VI, but it would be recompiled based on the inputs.

Bruce

vinalg

Tab Control - Property Node that inform the quantity of rows of tabs

by Member vinalg on ‎05-08-2012 12:23 PM - last edited on ‎05-14-2012 08:58 AM by Active Participant JordanG

By using the property node "Allow Multiple Rows" of Tab Control, this allows to arrange any tab extended beyond the width of the Tab Control, but there is no property node to inform the quantity of rows that were added.

It would be interesting to have this property node because it would be possible to perfectly fit the dimensions of the Tab Control when it is resized.

Currently when a search is made in the "find examples" window of LabVIEW it is not possible to find its folder path in the browse tab.

I would like to suggest the ability to right-click the search result and to have an option to find that search result in the browse tab.

This would be extremely useful when locating an example and then posting online the location in the example browser.

Here is an example of what it would look like:

exampleclick.png

Regards,

Laurence C

Applications Engineer

National Instruments UK

When working with reentrant VIs, every time you double click an instance of a reentrant vi on the block diagram, the cloned instance is opened. This is fine during debugging but during development when you want to modify the actual code this requires that you open a clone, then CTRL+M to open the actual master vi. Much more frustrating if you have to dig several VIs deep through a highly reentrant hierarchy.

We have CTRL+RT Click to open the block diagram directly, how about something like ALT+RT Click to open the master VI instead of the clone.

Under normal development this is not such an issue but if you happen to be working with LV FPGA, just about everything is reentrant.

Joju

coordinates position display of controls

by Member Joju on ‎09-27-2011 09:24 AM

when you place some control in the front panel, You don't have any idea of his position, You don't have posibility to control de exact position of this control, and You can't edit this position, only you have a small tip strip display when you move this control.You cant change the position of a control wiht the properties nodes in execution time, but this is not enough.
solution:
place a display in the front panel, to display the absolute position of a control, and his size, and when it is selected, to able to put his position, in additional way in the properties of control, having the posibility to do the same operation.

When you want to save a XControl, you have to save 5 items ... the savefiledialog appears 5 times ...

The problem is, that when you add an XControl to an autopopulating project, the savefiledialog appears 5 times,

without any memory of the last path used ! You have to browse 5 times save all elements.

Here some possible solutions to this problem ...

1. The save file dialog should keep the last saving path in memory
  2. In autopopulating project, the saving path should be automaticaly taken from the project architecture 
  3. A special save file dialog could be build, enabling to rename and save all 5 elements in the same directory ( This solution force to save the file in the same path ... is it good ? for me i think so ! )

DavyP

Missing Software Pop Up

by Member DavyP on ‎05-04-2012 08:53 AM

Hello LabVIEW Experts,

I thought of this recently when I was setting up a test computer.  I started up my LabVIEW project file and opened up my host VI only to find that I had some broken wires... DOH!  After looking over MAX and googling a few error codes, I found that the test machine I had didn't have RT installed.  That's when it hit me, wouldn't it be great if the VI would have recognized that I was trying to connect to a cRIO chassis and gave me a little pop up telling me what software I was missing and where to get it?  Sure would have made my day easier.

P@Anand

Disable front panel control Update

by Active Participant P@Anand ‎05-04-2012 08:33 AM - edited ‎05-04-2012 08:37 AM

When I was debugging the RT code it was getting crashed whenever I open more than one VI which has large clusters. For displaying the values in the front panel certain amount of memory is required that was the problem. In some cases it is not required to see the values in the front panel and also it is not required to open the front panel either. So it would be good if we have an option for disabling the values updation to the front panel control and I believe it will increase the efficiency even when we open those vi's. This option can be made available in the control/indicator properties and also if we want to disable the whole control/indicators present in the vi the option can also be made available in the vi properties. By default the option will be enabled and the front panel updation can be disabled by removing the check mark in the check box.

Front panel control.png

Front panel control-vi properties.png

I guess it is not proposed before.

elset191

Use consistent increment and decrement

by Active Participant elset191 on ‎10-08-2009 11:19 AM

Say I have a numeric control on the front panel whose value is 3.8.   If I put my cursor after the six and increment it (using the inc/dec buttons or the arrows) it goes to 3.9, 4, 5, 6.  It should go 3.9, 4, 4.1.

heel

IMAQ VI's should support all image types which makes sense

by Member heel ‎03-17-2010 08:31 AM - edited ‎03-17-2010 08:33 AM

Inconsistency is found in the supported image types for many IMAQ vi's:

For instance IMAQ ROIProfile, IMAQ LineProfile and IMAQ LinearAverages supports U8, I16 and SGL format but do not support U16 format images.

But, a profile along a line drawn in a U16 image should make as much sense as in an U8 image. Shouldn't it? So why is it not supported?

In addition, I would expect it to be easy to add an additional polymorphic U16 version.

These are just a few of several examples of similar inconsistency in IMAQ vi's.

Message Edited by heel on 03-17-2010 08:33 AM
Mathieu_T

LabVIEW 64bit french version

by Active Participant Mathieu_T on ‎09-21-2011 04:54 AM

A lot of customers are asking why a french version of LabVIEW 2011 64bit is not available. Is this idea take part of the future roadmap ?

Currently all ROI contours have to be the same color.   There have been many instances where it would have been useful to be able to set the color of a specific contour.

Most of the new LabVIEW users will start programming from the scratch. They really find very hard to understand from where did this particular object (function) came from. So if the location of it is displayed in the context help it will give a better way to easily find that object from the location.

Ex: "Create User Event" can be displayed in context help as below

(or in a shorter form that everybody understands).

Sorry if this idea has been discussed before. Or its not at all needed. For a newbie this will help definitely.

LabVIEW opens the file in the version of LabVIEW that was most recently opened instead of the version the file was saved in.  Add a header to the file to allow LabVIEW to open the file in the correct version.  This will save a lot of time and lower frustration of accidently saving a file in the newer version.

The numeric controls can be configured by specifying Min/max values ... and behaviour when going over these limits (Coerce, ignore ... )

This feature works fine on the front panels ...

But when you modify the value of such controls programaticaly using a property node ... these constraints are not taken in account.

It would be nice to apply the MIN/Max limits also to the "value property" (and valus signaling too)

MinMaxNumericControls.PNG

Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Top Kudoed Authors
Idea Statuses