From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deirdre Walsh Interview with EDN

Community Manager Deirdre is interviewed by EDN about the importance of social networking for engineers: http://bit.ly/Deirdre-Walsh-EDN-Interview

Message 1 of 6
(11,284 Views)

Thanks for sharing the article.  Would love to hear thoughts on these points as well.  

Deirdre Walsh -- NI Community Manager & Social Media Geek
Message 2 of 6
(11,200 Views)

I couldn't agree with you more that talking with other nerds such as myself colleagues broadens and deepens technical expertise and camaraderie. But there's a snag - as a usability junkie, I notice the ni.com homepage does not highlight two of it's greatest resources: the Discussion Forums and the Communities.

Could you make an internal "push" to get these two treasure troves the publicity they deserve: a menu item on the homepage? This improvement could act as a springboard for other low-hanging fruit to accelerate the growth of NI's technical community.

NIHomePage2.png

Message 3 of 6
(11,158 Views)

I really liked the article. 

I must admit, that I'm not comfortable with Facebook, but we're already LinkedIn, so that's my contribution to the social network..  And of course, this forum.

I have not yet found a similar site for embedded C/C++ developers, especially VxWorks.  Quite dissappointing, actually.  WindRiver could learn a lot from NI (forums).

I do agree that these days, getting a job or contract is pretty much through who you know.  Sending resumes is getting more & more a waste of time.  I suppose too many people claiming to be something they are not.  That's another article for EDN 😉

I probably need to learn / explore blogs and twitters.

Cheers Deirdre!

RayR

Message 4 of 6
(11,147 Views)

I realized I left out one important point from my post above - Great article. The line that struck home: "People get really caught up in the technologies. It’s less about the technologies and more about the conversation."

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(11,137 Views)

Ray and Jack, 

I'm really glad you liked the article.  

Additionally, I appreciate the feedback on the navigation on ni.com.  It is definitely something that we discuss internally and it's helpful to having it coming directly from customers.  

Hope you both have a good weekend!

Deirdre

Deirdre Walsh -- NI Community Manager & Social Media Geek
Message 6 of 6
(11,128 Views)