BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Posts (An alternate to side discussions)

Coming back to work on the 3rd I was quite confused.  I'm trying to figure out how the wire tap works, and how it is better than a probe, and where I could use it...and then the final two quotes on that post got me.

Oh and I have never owned, or lived in a home that owned, a toaster oven, but that does sound like a good solution.

Message 1511 of 2,258
(10,683 Views)

Are there any hydrologist using LV ?

I ask because the dam I built last year silted up see here

and again here

I built it along a stream below where multiple springs emerge figuring I would take advantage of multiple springs to fill the dam. But it seem that was  bad place since it is below a step section of the stream so (as I have it figured) the fast running water is picking up dirt and debris but when it get to the dam, the water slows down and drops the silt in the pond.

As an experiment (what is life without experiments) I built another dam from sand bags filled with dirt to slow down the water before it got to the important dam and again silting it in.

So what would say?

Will it work?

What other ideas should I try out in my quest to have a nice collection pond to drive my hydraulic ram pump and provide water to my house after an EMP?

Looking for insights and inspiration.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1512 of 2,258
(10,650 Views)

Ben, you could get some beavers maybe, they are much better than hydrologist, they had a bit much more time to evolve 🙂

Second thought: drilling a (or multiple) well not an option? Also, you get more reliable and better quality water source this way.

0 Kudos
Message 1513 of 2,258
(10,623 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Ben, you could get some beavers maybe, they are much better than hydrologist, they had a bit much more time to evolve 🙂

Second thought: drilling a (or multiple) well not an option? Also, you get more reliable and better quality water source this way.

There is an old military axiom that goes

"One is none, two gets it done."

Hand pumps are an option that we have yet to install. My brother has a hand pump waiting for the will to be drilled in his backyard, just across the street from my place. His back yard is about 15 feet above where I found an artesian spring.

We should be able to get water from there as well (no pun intended). But that requires work to pump the water up for use. It will be fine for fresh water for drinking etc. The Ram Pump can also deliver water but with no effort on our part. While I have not run a delivery line to his place, I do have one routed to the top of The Ridge garden which is between 40-50' above where the stream is located.

When we transplanted our crops to the garden last year, my better half decided that I should do the planting and she would fetch the water. I did not like watching her carrying the buckets of water up the hill. The Ram pump combined with a holding pond...

that was installed last year should provide all of the water we need for the planting and spare my better half all of that work.

I have about two weeks before I can start the transplanting. Looking forward to it!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1514 of 2,258
(10,609 Views)

Ben, I totally envy you! 🙂 I have grown up in a little village (like 900-1000 people), and I loved that we have garden there. So sadly, recently where I work, and rent a flat in Germany, I do not have this fun (and hard work too!) 😞 Sometimes I think about to just quit my job, leave "science", and start some farming. Maybe some goats, I like goat cheese, haha 😄

Hey, about water access, this is what people still nowadays use in The Great Hungarian Plane, 100% EMP proof 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_9DzlRSQQ

(not my video)

Of course, this method is not only used in Hungary, but in several countries, with some modifications:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadoof

Message 1515 of 2,258
(10,599 Views)

Do YOU recycle?

Spoiler

I have been putting together a full size model of a section of customer duct work I need for the Hobbit Hole project.

It ahs to allow me to maintain a 50 sq inch cross section to maintain flow to an 8" duct but it also has to doge the ribs used to form the coved ceiling.

The model constructed from card stock is shown in the foreground with a section of cove rib behind it and  the offending 8" elbow that it will replace behind that.

It is coming together only through the grace of God with barely enough room to clear the cove and still be more than 50 sq inches.

If you look closely inside the duct model you will see why my better-half saw it and said "A hundred and one uses for an empty case of beer!"

In our house we believe "the most efficient form of recycling is re-use."

The card stock used to make cases for beverage cans is nice and stiff but not too stiff, and is also close to the same thickness as the sheet metal that will be used in the final assembly. it is just duct taped together but after I am happy with the design, I can easily disassemble the model and use the components as templates for the sheet metal parts.

I ran into only one problem last night.

I have exhausted by cache of card stock!

What to do now he wonders.... Smiley Wink

Ben

Message 1516 of 2,258
(10,560 Views)

The dam for the collection pond that feeds the ram pump has been re-built and filled higher than last year.

There are blooms on the pear trees...

and the solar powered pump for the storage pond is still functional.

So we are getting ready for spring. I will be replacing the caps on the pressure vessels of the ram pump before it gets installed again. I will delay the install until after I have a little more green on the bushes so that it can not bee seen from the road.

I will be getting very bust soon.

Ben

Message 1517 of 2,258
(10,518 Views)

ugh .... summer sucks.

This winter was kind of a bust - started off strong, but it was mostly done by early march.  One more big campout in early May, then ... put the sled away and ride the motorcycle remodel the kitchen and bathroom. 

Did finish pretty strong at the cross-country race weekend before last, took 6th of 20 and missed 5th by 3 seconds (~90mins, little over 50mi through trees/roads/trails/mountains). 

Message 1518 of 2,258
(10,470 Views)

I don't remember seeing this posted here before.  Credit SMBC

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 1519 of 2,258
(10,370 Views)