BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rube Goldberg Code

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Need-help-parsing-a-string/m-p/1956895#M649828

A perfect example of why to think before you code. My first solution, and second solution, only minutes apart...

Download All
Message 1131 of 2,571
(11,191 Views)

Great. Lean and clean!

0 Kudos
Message 1132 of 2,571
(11,152 Views)

RG machines... this is pretty cool:

http://www.wimp.com/machinesnothing/

Message 1133 of 2,571
(11,105 Views)

I found this in a system I support.  Am I missing something?

MSG_Year.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 1134 of 2,571
(11,056 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Surprised

I think the original intent was to fill up a block diagram-  your solution misses on that point. (I wonder what happens in year 201A?)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1135 of 2,571
(11,051 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

Yes, the warrenty regarding data integrity.  You have obviously broken the seal on the "Data Manipulation" palette.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1136 of 2,571
(11,043 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

Just curious, I'm trying to grasp why this works, but if you do the same with two decimal numbers, say 10 and 20, you obviously don't get 1020 out. I'm assuming it has to do with joining two U8's to a U16 and hex is base16 but even after writing out the bits and the OR to try to further understand, I still can't wrap my head around it. Clarifications please.

0 Kudos
Message 1137 of 2,571
(11,029 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

Just curious, I'm trying to grasp why this works, but if you do the same with two decimal numbers, say 10 and 20, you obviously don't get 1020 out. I'm assuming it has to do with joining two U8's to a U16 and hex is base16 but even after writing out the bits and the OR to try to further understand, I still can't wrap my head around it. Clarifications please.

Looks to me like the numbers are encoded in BCD?

0 Kudos
Message 1138 of 2,571
(11,021 Views)

@for(imstuck) wrote:

The date is stored in our device's NVM in a human-readable format when viewed in a Hex editor.

I forgot to mention that this was part of a system we paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for.  😛

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1139 of 2,571
(11,000 Views)

It's obvious why it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, if they need to code this thing to concat two numbers.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 1140 of 2,571
(10,963 Views)